We are told about the benefits of physical exertion from childhood: sport develops strength and endurance, forms a figure and hardens the spirit. If you do not have the opportunity or desire to practice professionally, go to the gym or fitness center, regular walking on stairs will help to restore your form.
What you will find in this article:
What is useful in walking upstairs
Ladder - a simulator, available to everyone, they do not need to pay for their use, they are always under their feet and only desire is necessary for practice. As a result of methodical exercises, it is possible to:
- Effectively lose weight without exhausting diets, since climbing the stairs and the subsequent descent burn more calories than, for example, running;
- Strengthen the cardiovascular system, literally escape from stroke and heart attack;
- Improve health and increase life expectancy;
- Increase the vital volume of the lungs and cope with diseases of the respiratory system;
- Adjust the figure, including the problem areas (buttocks, thighs);
- Strengthen the muscular frame of the back and abdomen.
How to organize training
There are no uniform rules for walking on the stairs. Each person must choose the load individually, taking into account the age, state of health and the goal that is pursued.
There are two basic postulates that must be adhered to, guided, in the future, by the results achieved.
- Starting small: the duration of the first workouts does not exceed 5 minutes, this is the ascent of the stairs to a height of 2-3 floors and descent. Gradually, loads are increasing, reaching up to 20 minutes or more.
- Running or walking - the one who is engaged chooses. Training should not cause discomfort. Dyspnea indicates too high a tempo taken initially. It is necessary to temper the rhythm and reduce the load to a comfortable one. It is very important to follow the breath.
How many calories are burned when walking upstairs
For weight loss you need to choose running or climbing stairs at an accelerated pace. The duration of the workout is no less than half an hour, you can practice weighting (if it is not a beginner) or walking through the step.
With a starting weight of 60 kg:
- For 5 minutes, 75 kcal is burned;
- For 10 minutes - 150 kcal;
- For 20 minutes - 300 kcal;
- For 30 minutes - 450 kcal;
- For 45 minutes - 675 kcal;
- For 60 minutes - 900 kcal.
Brisk walking or running up and down involves different muscle groups.
What muscles work?
- calf muscles;
- knee straighteners;
- thigh biceps;
- gluteal muscles.
What is more useful: climb or descend the stairs?
Descending stairs is harder work for muscles than lifting. Working with weighting, after 2-3 approaches, the thigh muscles cannot be taken under control; this is a sure sign that the workout is taking place correctly, but it’s time to finish.
During the descent muscle nuclei are activated, the formation of collagen fibers occurs, the hips and buttocks acquire the desired shape and relief.
What is useful slow walking?
Unhurried walking can not give what gives jogging on the stairs: burning calories. She has a different goal - to strengthen the muscular frame of the legs, back and abdomen.
Slow ascent and descent will not harm the joints, the main thing is not to allow yourself to accelerate the pace. During classes, the heart rate should not exceed 150 beats per minute. Otherwise, the load for the body is excessive and the pace must be reduced.
What does walking up the stairs with foot diseases
How to treat flat feet by walking the stairs
Reviews of people who cured flat feet with the help of therapeutic gymnastics testify to the benefits of walking up the stairs.
For the prevention and treatment of flatfoot, you must alternately stand on a step with one foot (the front part, so that the heel is sagging) and make 3-5 spring movements.
Walking up the stairs during pregnancy
For women during pregnancy in the absence of a threat of termination, moderate exercise is not prohibited. If a woman is in good physical shape, then she is able to determine her own occupation rate and for 9 months of waiting a child.
If there are doubts about the appropriateness of classes - it is better to consult a doctor.
- Before you start training, you need to warm up, warm up your muscles to avoid injuries and damage.
- Workout shoes should be durable and comfortable, on a practical non-slip sole.
- Double benefits will bring classes in the fresh air.
- It is not recommended to rest between ascent and descent.
- For pregnant women and elderly people, the recommendation is to hold onto the railing so as not to stumble and fall.
- After the first serious training the legs ache a couple of days, this is a normal reaction of the body.
- For men and those wishing to lose weight (regardless of gender), walking with weighting is recommended.
If during the walk there is pain in the knee, not passing even after the cessation of classes, you should consult a doctor and postpone training. Similarly, the situation with the crunch in the knees: the physiological crunch is not dangerous, but you need to make sure that we are not talking about pathology
- injuries to the legs and joints;
- severe scoliosis;
- severe varicose veins;
- arterial hypertension;
- heart failure and other pathologies.
Along with walking upstairs, it is recommended to review the diet, focusing on protein and fiber, give up bad habits, comply with the regime of work and rest.