The rate of metabolic reactions occurring in the body is one of the factors affecting body weight. How to speed up the metabolism, and will it help to lose weight faster?
What you will find in this article:
Metabolism: components of success
Metabolism is a set of biochemical reactions that constantly occur in the tissues and ensure the growth, development, reproduction and regeneration of cells.
Calories entering the digestive tract are converted into energy by the body. Part of it is spent on the needs of the body:
- The work of bodies
- Physical activity
Since everything in nature tends to equilibrium, simultaneously with the processes of energy release and splitting of products (catabolism), the opposite reactions take place, requiring energy expenditure and creating complex molecules from simple (anabolism).
The energy released by the breakdown of nutrients is stored in the form of adenosine triphosphoric acid molecules - ATP, which, in turn, is used for anabolic reactions (the formation of protein molecules, hormones). Excess energy is stored in the form of fat.
It is not always possible to find a balance between incoming and outgoing energy. Making the body spend more, speeding up metabolism, observing certain rules, means - to lose weight.
How many calories do you need?
The amount of energy used by the body is affected by:
- Weight and physique. More weight requires more energy to maintain the processes; people with large muscle mass spend more energy than those who have predominant adipose tissue. Women, with less weight and a greater percentage of adipose tissue than men, are more likely to be overweight.
- With age, keeping fit and losing weight is becoming increasingly difficult. After 40 decreases the number of synthesized hormones. In women after 50, hormonal changes associated with menopause inhibit metabolic reactions. Diseases, fatigue, decreased physical activity lead to a slowdown in metabolism.
The main suppliers of energy are proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Vitamins and minerals are required for metabolic reactions.
How to start the metabolism
It seems obvious that reducing food intake is a natural way to harmony. However, methods that imply rigid diets and serious restrictions are temporary half measures. The sharp decrease in the number of calories the body perceives as a threat of starvation and begins to quickly lay off stocks. The effect may well be the opposite of what was expected. At best, the weight will simply be in place.
- Reducing the number of calories consumed is necessary gradually, allowing the body to adapt.
The body spends energy on digestion of food, even a small amount. Full meals in combination with snacks (fruit, yogurt, kefir) will make the metabolic processes more active.
- Frequent fractional nutrition is one of the basic components of the complex of measures to accelerate metabolism.
The body needs fluid . If the goal is to speed up the metabolism and lose weight, then the liquid is pure water without gas and chemical additives. Coffee and green tea tend to dehydrate the body, but increase blood circulation, heartbeat, thereby accelerating the metabolism. Their consumption should be limited to reasonable limits. Salt, in contrast, retains water in the tissues and the intercellular space, causing swelling.
- A glass of water, drunk 10-15 minutes before a meal, will trigger metabolic processes and reduce the amount of food eaten. It is not necessary to wash down the food, it is better to drink water after 2 hours.
- Drinking, as well as food, can be fractional: 100-120 ml at a time during the day.
- Cool water requires more energy - to warm it to body temperature.
Exercise should be feasible and regular. First of all, they just have to be. Stairs instead of an elevator, walking walk instead of a trip by transport, roller skates, a bicycle, skates - instead of a TV or computer.
- To increase the amount of energy burned during training, you should perform short sets of exercises in several approaches during the day.
- Aerobics is a type of exercise that guarantees the acceleration of metabolism and protects against excessive muscle gain. It is worth adding running, swimming, jumping rope, skating and rollerblading, training on a stationary bike.
- Bath, sauna, massage accelerate blood circulation, enhance cellular nutrition, stimulating metabolic processes. A similar effect has a douche.
Healthy full sleep, falling asleep to 23 hours and without overeating at night contributes to the normalization of metabolic reactions. Cool air in the bedroom increases the amount of energy expended by the body at rest.
- Hot pepper increases blood circulation in blood vessels, reduces appetite, significantly speeds up the metabolism;
- Whole grain cereals and soups are a source of “slow” carbohydrates that release energy in stages, do not increase blood glucose levels;
- Broccoli - a storehouse of useful substances necessary for weight loss: calcium, vitamins A, C, folic acid, antioxidants, fiber;
- Sour green apples stimulate metabolic processes and promote weight loss;
- Seasonings: cinnamon, turmeric, garlic, black pepper, mustard, ginger are real natural catalysts. Ginger is a part of many cocktail recipes and dishes that burn fat;
- Citrus fruits: lemon , grapefruit, pomelo contain a small amount of sugars and, conversely, a lot of ascorbic acid, accelerate fat burning and are shown to speed up the metabolism;
- Protein foods rich in calcium: milk and dairy products, eggs are necessary in the diet to maintain a high rate of metabolic reactions;
- To combat excess weight, you need foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids: fish, fish oil, flaxseed oil, nuts, seeds;
- Products containing zinc: beef liver, chicken hearts, veal, tongue, oysters, anchovies, salmon, nuts, kohlrabi and cauliflower, radishes, dried apricots, prunes, bran and cereals are shown to people who want to speed up the metabolism, because zinc stimulates the production of the hormone satiety and reduced appetite;
Herbs, accelerating metabolism
- Improves metabolism infusion of lemon balm: 1 tsp. leaves pour 0.2 liters of boiling water, leave for 15 minutes. Strain and drink cold;
- It contributes to the normalization of digestion, accelerates metabolic reactions, burns dandelion fat. Useful salad with young fresh leaves; they can be boiled with boiling water (1 tbsp. per 0.25 l of water), insist on an hour, strain and drink during the day in small portions;
- 1 tbsp. l leaves of fireweed pour 0.25 liters of water, simmer in a water bath for 10 minutes, insist 2 hours in a thermos. Strain, drink 1 tbsp. l three times a day on an empty stomach;
- In the morning and evening, on an empty stomach, eat 1 tsp. flax seed. It is permissible to drink water or milk;
- 1 tbsp. l knotweed pour 0.2 liter of boiling water, insist 10 minutes, take 2 tbsp. l 4 times daily before meals;
- 5 tbsp. l chop leaves and flowers of strawberries, pour 1 liter of boiling water, leave for 2 hours, strain, drink 1/3 cup 3 times a day 30 minutes before meals.
Preparations for the accelerated exchange
Funds designed to stimulate metabolic processes are divided into several groups.
- Hormonal drugs should be prescribed by a doctor, their uncontrolled intake can lead to the opposite result and cause serious disturbances. We are talking about both thyroid hormones and anabolic steroids, a medicine containing male sex hormones designed for building muscle;
- Metabolism-stimulating pills:
- Meridia (affects the area of the brain responsible for appetite, creates a feeling of fullness)
- Bromelain (speeds up digestion, promotes fat breakdown)
- Turboslim (stimulates digestion, has a laxative effect)
Long-term use is fraught with indigestion, the appearance of symptoms of dysbiosis, loss of appetite and sleep.
Slow metabolism: how to speed up?
- Proper nutrition
- Enough water
- Active physical activity
- Rejection of bad habits
- Mental health
To improve metabolism, cleanse the body and speed up the metabolism at home is real, the main thing is to overcome your own laziness.
Accelerated metabolism: how to slow down?
A rather large number of people are facing this problem. Eating foods that contribute to the accumulation of fat and the restriction of stimulating foods - the way to slow down the metabolism. You should not radically lean on cakes and fat, you need to increase the number of:
- Soups are recommended in fatty meat and fish broth
- Beer and Brewer's Yeast
Pharmacies sell drugs that slow down the metabolism. But their reception should be discussed with the doctor.
Accelerating metabolic reactions is one of the steps towards losing weight. Proper nutrition, rich in vitamins, trace elements, protein and fiber, should be combined with exercise, an active lifestyle and the rejection of bad habits. It should be understood that this is a long process and fast results should not be expected.
Exercise will help to adjust the shape, remove problem areas. Compliance with the above postulates should be a way of life, not a tribute to fashion.