In the article you will find the main causes and symptoms of male menopause, how menopause occurs in men, the features of the treatment of possible related problems.
What you will find in this article:
Do menopause in men
Yes, menopause occurs not only in women, but also in men. In medicine, male menopause is called "age androgen deficiency" or "partial androgen deficiency", and such name of menopause in men is also found as "andropause". Doctors associate its manifestation with a sharp decrease in the level of testosterone in the blood.
Climax is observed in about one third of men; in the rest it is almost asymptomatic. Androgenic deficiency can occur at the age of 45 and at 85, it is extremely difficult to predict, except to investigate the hereditary history of testosterone reduction, but in any case, its causes are individual.
And, unfortunately, in modern society with all the environmental and social problems, many men simply do not have time to live until the onset of menopause.
– это нормальное проявление физиологического процесса старения организма, если только он не сопровождается жалобами и клиническими проявлениями. Climax in men is a normal manifestation of the physiological process of aging of the body, unless it is accompanied by complaints and clinical manifestations.
Climax, manifested at the age of 45 years is called early, after 60 years - late. In the event of complaints and changes in the cardiovascular, nervous and urogenital systems, menopause is called pathological.
With partial androgen deficiency, the amount of testosterone secretion decreases, but the male reproductive function remains. It should be noted that this occurs gradually, without a sharp drop, as in women.
In addition, do not confuse menopause with impotence - with the onset of menopause, fertility and libido are reduced, but the erection remains unchanged. And with impotence, it is erectile dysfunction that is observed, which makes it impossible to perform sexual intercourse.
Causes of menopause
Age-related changes that adversely affect the functions of all organs and systems of men. At the onset of a certain age, a complex restructuring of all body systems occurs, especially as regards reproductive function, since it exhibits a hypodynamia of the glands, leading to insufficient secretion of certain hormones.
The connection between the hypothalamus, pituitary and testicles, which is responsible for the production of androgens - steroid hormones of the sex glands - changes.
Age-related changes in the hypothalamus work directly affect the functioning of the pituitary gland as the main endocrine gland. As a result, there is a violation in the production of hormones responsible for the stimulation of the sex glands of men - the testes.
In them, with age, the secretory tissue is replaced by connective and fatty tissue, and this leads to a decrease in testosterone secretion.
This hormone performs important functions regulating the work of the testicles, appendages, prostate gland and seminal vesicles. It stimulates the formation of sperm, determines the libido, the intensity of orgasm and sexual arousal.
A decrease in testosterone leads to dysfunction of the sexual, endocrine and central nervous system.
Factors contributing to the early development of menopause
The level of testosterone in men begins to gradually decline after 35-40 years, but this process can be accelerated due to bad habits and other negative factors:
- excessive use of alcohol;
- drug use;
- eating disorders, poorly balanced diet;
- overweight, obesity problems;
- emotional stress, stress, depression;
- sedentary lifestyle, lack of physical activity;
- long period of abstaining from sex;
- frequent change of sexual partners.
Accordingly, in order to delay as much as possible the manifestation of male menopause, exclude these factors.
Health problems only worsen the course of male menopause:
- oncological diseases, especially genital organs;
- toxic and radiation damage to the body;
- diseases of the genitourinary system (congenital abnormalities, hypogonadism, cryptochorism);
- diseases of the cardiovascular system (hypertension, diabetes, atherosclerosis);
Manifestations of age androgen deficiency
Signs of manifestation of male menopause differ depending on the general health, physical and sexual activity of a man, etc. Often, partial androgen deficiency may not have pronounced symptoms.
Symptoms of male menopause
Otherwise, they may be as follows:
- increased nervous irritability, irritability;
- decreased vitality, lethargy, apathy;
- mood swings, depression;
- anxiety, feeling of depression, unreasonable fears;
- deterioration of concentration and memory;
- sleep problems (insomnia);
- decreased performance, fatigue;
- dry skin;
- increased sweating.
Disruption of body functions
More serious signs of menopause affect the normal functioning of the body:
- drops in blood pressure;
- heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmia, tachycardia, etc.);
- feeling short of breath;
- frequent headaches, especially in the occipital region;
- hot flashes - sharp bouts of heat with profuse sweating, redness of the face, neck;
- weight gain, deposition of fat in the abdomen and thighs;
- problems urinating.
Separately, it is necessary to highlight manifestations of sexual dysfunction, which are individual in nature and can occur rather slowly:
- decrease in the duration of sexual intercourse;
- decrease in sexual desire;
- quick ejaculation;
- deterioration of orgasm or its disappearance;
- decrease in sperm and sperm count.
In the body, everything is interconnected, and often some of the symptoms listed above manifest themselves not because of, in fact, a decrease in testosterone production, but because of unnecessary experiences, stresses, and "twisting." An excessively quivering and nervous attitude towards age-related changes in the body can aggravate the development of menopause.
And vice versa. Do not ignore any of the listed symptoms and blame everything on age. Some of them may also be indicative of diabetes. For an accurate diagnosis and choice of treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
To determine the climax, the doctor prescribes a blood test for serum testosterone levels. Upon reaching 50 years old, regardless of the symptoms, it is imperative to visit a urologist, andrologist, and a psychologist. It is also useful to visit a cardiologist and a neurologist.
In the presence of menopause symptoms in men, treatment is prescribed only after a differential diagnosis with other diseases.
To identify concomitant chronic diseases, spermograms and general clinical tests are performed, a hormonal blood profile is established (total and free testosterone, luteinizing and follicle-stimulating hormones, prolactin, estradiol), an ultrasound of the pelvic organs, computed tomography of the skull.
Treatment of menopause is an integrated approach. It includes the optimization of the nervous, cardiovascular, urogenital systems of the body through the normalization of lifestyle (physical activity, sleep and nutrition, etc.), drug therapy, local effects to eliminate specific symptoms.
Traditional drug therapy includes:
- antidepressants and sedatives;
- hormone replacement therapy (medicines containing testosterone - Andriol, Sustanon, Omnadren, Sustaretard, Testosterone propionate, Tetrasterone, Dihydrotestosterone, etc.);
- biogenic adaptogens;
Folk remedies for the treatment of male menopause
Traditional medicine in the treatment of menopause is focused on reducing nervousness, prevention of diseases of the cardiovascular and digestive systems.
If you are not allergic, take the following medication charges:
- cumin, fennel, valerian root, motherwort grass;
- pharmaceutical chamomile, peppermint, valerian root, three-leaf watch;
- motherwort grass, lemon balm leaves, hawthorn flowers, white mistletoe grass, buckthorn, viburnum;
- rhizome elecampane, grass oregano, series, woodruff, chamomile flowers and calendula, motherwort, flax seeds, fennel;
- marigold flowers, grass Veronica, marjoram, groundwort;
- grass mint, sage, train, hawthorn leaves, angelica and rosemary shoots.
Conifer-valerian baths before bedtime have a good effect on the body.
To improve the potency add to the diet walnuts with honey, onions , celery, carrot juice, milk. These products are good for the prevention of menopause.
- You can take care of your health before the manifestation of menopause symptoms. Medics proved that menopause is more difficult for loving men with high testosterone levels. Therefore, if possible, direct your energy not only to the sexual mainstream.
- Moderate physical exertion will be useful for the whole body, so do not be lazy to do exercises in the morning (with dumbbells, weights, elastic bandage and other projectiles), do not refuse to run, hike, swim. Do not feel sorry for yourself and go upstairs to the apartment, and not on the elevator.
- Constantly maintain mental activity - read more, learn, learn more. To maintain an optimal state of the nervous system, build long-term prospects, plan and implement ideas. This may be the study of a foreign language, yoga, travel.
- Follow the diet - add to the diet of greens, vegetables and fruits, natural products, limit the consumption of foods high in carbohydrates, reduce the use of salt, alcohol (especially beer).
- Do not forget about the psychological aspect - treat the natural age-related changes naturally. Gray hair, slight changes in the figure, a decrease in sexual desire do not make a man worse. For sex, experience is more important than the opportunity to become a champion of a sex marathon. If the exploits still want, for the appointment of appropriate drugs that increase sexual activity, it is better to consult a doctor.
Andropause will be later and less noticeable if you take up your lifestyle in time, optimize physical and mental stress, and adjust your diet.
Monitor your health and consult a doctor in time.
See you in the next article!