There is a lot of reasons for insomnia, but in those cases, when twisting legs at night, it is impossible to fall asleep, and it is necessary to take measures to get rid of pain and discomfort.
What you will find in this article:
Why twists legs
Discomfort in the legs at rest, as a rule, at night, can be of a different nature and intensity, but the discomfort delivered interferes with normal sleep and rest.
The phenomenon when, after a busy day, the leg muscles pulls and aches so that it is impossible to relax and fall asleep, it is called “restless legs syndrome”. By this psychological anomaly, one understands the state when the sensory-motor disorder makes itself felt by the pain of the feet from the toes of the feet to the knees.
The disorder manifests itself in different ways: feeling of numbness in the legs, goosebumps, burning, tingling, pulling and shooting pains. Calves go numb, go black. The pain is not always directly related to physical exertion, outdoor games, running, long walking. But in all cases, patients note increased pain and discomfort at rest: in the evening, at night, when the load on the legs is minimal.
It is characteristic that even a small physical exertion, walking around the room, relieves stress from your feet, but if you calm down, go to bed - and the discomfort will return again. The more intense the physical tension was on the legs the day before, the more the muscles ache: a feeling is created that turns the legs, twitches, it is impossible to sleep and you need to somehow “calm” the muscles.
Causes of Restless Legs Syndrome
Among the causes of pulling tearing in the muscles of the legs, it can be noted:
- Dehydration occurring in the body as a result of a prolonged increase in body temperature (fever, infectious diseases). Restless legs syndrome often occurs with flu, sore throat, and other diseases;
- In women, restless legs syndrome occurs during pregnancy, this is due to a lack of magnesium in the body. Muscle pain is a frequent satellite of pregnancy, it is very important to start taking medicines of type Magnesium B6 or its analogues in a timely manner;
- During menstruation or on the eve (in the period) of menopause, painful sensations in the legs of women are associated with a serious hormonal adjustment that the body undergoes. During this period, most pain disorders are considered a variant of the norm;
- Quite often, the legs hurt due to the presence of psychosomatic disorders.
In a child, the appearance of nocturnal pain in the legs is associated with an intense but uneven growth of the muscular system and blood vessels.
The syndrome of restless legs during a period of sharp growths is particularly pronounced and is directly related to physical exertion. It must be said that the "right" load - training under the guidance of a professional trainer, for example, does not cause night pain in the legs. Depending on the type of load, the muscles of the thigh or the calves may ache, but the nature of the pain is different and it can be removed with a warm bath or massage. Over time, the legs get used to the workouts and the pain stops.
Night "twisting" in adults may be associated with diseases of internal organs, joints, blood vessels (insufficient blood supply leads to weakening of the nutrition of tissues and unpleasant sensations). In meteo-dependent people, the legs twist at night "for the weather" - climate change is responded to in the body by discomfort.
It is impossible to exclude night pains, as a consequence after suffering injuries of the legs.
Separately, it is necessary to single out the cases when fear, insecurity, anxiety are reflected through muscular pain.
How to treat restless legs syndrome
Treatment must begin with establishing the cause. First of all, it is necessary to exclude possible pathology of the muscular system, trauma, stretching.
When collecting history, the doctor draws attention to the associated diseases of the blood vessels and blood: anemia, atherosclerosis, thrombosis. Inadequate nutrition causes pain in the legs and in this case it is the cause that needs to be treated.
Sore feet at night with diseases of the joints - arthritis, arthrosis, gout, injuries. How to treat joints will tell the doctor after the survey and this is the topic of another article.
The situation is similar in the presence of kidney disease, thyroid dysfunction, and heart failure.
But if there are no mentioned pathologies and we are talking about excessive physical or mental stress, then you can remove the discomfort on your own.
- To improve blood supply and blood thinning with night pain in the legs can be recommended special drugs. These include acetylsalicylic acid tablets. Detralex improves microcirculation, has angioprotective and venotonic action. Interferes with venous stagnation, increases the tone of the venous walls. Drugs can be taken after prescription.
- Normaven contains the extract of chestnut, green tea, ginkgo biloba, lingonberry, arnica, wormwood, menthol and panthenol, lemon oil and a complex of vitamins. Due to its composition, the ointment reduces the fragility of capillary walls, increases their tone, has a venous and antioxidant effect, reduces swelling, inflammation, softens the skin, protects against dryness and irritation. Menthol cools the tissue, relieves pain. The ointment is rubbed into the skin with light massage movements before bedtime. The medicine in the form of a spray is sprayed from a distance of 10 cm onto the skin of the feet.
- Relieves pain and heaviness in the legs of Lioton gel. It consists of heparin, a blood thinning agent and regenerating blood microcirculation. The main contraindication to the use of lyotone is individual intolerance to heparin and reduced blood clotting. Medical advice is required before use. Analogs of lyoton are heparin ointment, counter-tubex, thrombless and other drugs.
- Rumacar gel contains diclofenac, due to which the drug relieves pain and inflammation. Its use blocks the formation of prostaglandins, suppressing pain. Rumacar is used in the post-traumatic period, with local pain in soft tissues, osteoarthritis of the joints. The drug is contraindicated in the last trimester of pregnancy and lactation, for systemic use in children up to 12 years, with individual intolerance to diclofenac. It is recommended to apply the gel only on intact skin. A small amount is rubbed into the skin of the legs with massage movements and left overnight. Hands need to be washed after the procedure.
- Ketonal-warming ointment, a strong analgesic, relieves swelling and inflammation. A small amount of ointment is applied to the skin in the area of pain.
- Non-steroidal (hormone-free) warming preparations of local action include Fastum gel. It is designed to relieve pain and discomfort in muscles, joints, ligaments. Easily penetrates the tissue quickly acting. The course of treatment should not exceed 10 days, for single use is indicated for adults and children, systemic use is contraindicated for people who are allergic to ketoprofen.
- For pain in the legs of any nature - joint diseases, rheumatism, traumas, dislocations, non-rheumatic pains of unknown etiology, including restless legs syndrome, use the cream Dolgit. The active ingredient in it is ibuprofen, which has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- A warming and analgesic effect has Kapsikam ointment. Dimethyl sulfoxide, the main active ingredient of the drug, easily penetrates into the tissue, has a local irritant effect. It can be used as a prophylactic agent (for athletes before workouts).
- Turpentine ointment has a strong irritant effect locally, which leads to a rush of blood at the site of pain. It is indicated for muscle pain, neuralgia, radiculitis.
To relieve muscle tension before bedtime will help baths with broths and infusions of medicinal herbs:
- 1 tbsp. l of herbs svechenitsy pour 1 liter of boiling water, insist 40-50 minutes. Infusion add to the bath, keep your feet for 15 minutes, towel dry, brush with greasy cream;
- 2 tbsp. l willow bark pour 1 liter of boiling water, simmer for 5 minutes, strain and add to the foot bath. The duration of the procedure is 20 minutes;
- Pour 2 liters of hot water into a basin, grate and dissolve the soap in the water (add white water), add 2 tbsp. l salt and baking soda, 10 drops of iodine. The duration of the procedure is 15 minutes, the water must be constantly hot. Recommended course of 10 trays daily. After the bath, wipe your feet dry and smear with a thick cream or small, put on woolen socks and go to bed.
Self-massage of the feet before bedtime will relieve fatigue and tension. Movement should be smooth. To begin massage it is necessary from below, from an ankle, gradually rising to a knee.
- Muscle rubbing from the bottom up and in a circular motion;
- Stroking with light pressure;
- Patting calves;
- Pressure on the muscles with a force of different intensity.
Finish massage strokes. For massage it is recommended to use fat cream or warming ointment.
As a prevention of nighttime muscle pain, you can use relaxation before bedtime - listening to quiet music, passive rest. The sleeping room should be well ventilated, bright lights and harsh sounds should be excluded.
If the pain is the result of psychological overload, then you need to try to calm down, relax, chamomile tea, valerian or motherwort decoction, soothing collection is useful. Smoking and alcohol adversely affect the health of the blood vessels and can cause nighttime pain in the muscles.
In the case when muscle pain in the legs becomes a constant companion of sleep, procedures and drugs do not bring relief, you need to seek medical help and undergo a comprehensive examination.