Bay leaf, a frequenter of any kitchen, can be useful not only in cooking. The medicinal properties of bay leaf are known for a long time and are used in modern medicine for the treatment of diseases of the oral cavity, joints, and colds.
What you will find in this article:
Bay leaf for mouth health
The composition of bay leaves includes phytoncides, tannins, antioxidants, which reduce inflammation, prevent the growth of pathogenic flora, soothe and soften the mucous membrane.
With colds, sore throat, stomatitis, bay leaves are soaked in boiling water for 30-40 minutes, after which the leaves are crushed and chewed.
An infusion of bay leaves or decoction (3-4 sheets of boiling water should be added to the boiling water, cook for 10 minutes over low heat, remove, cool, strain) used for rinsing the mouth when the gums are bleeding.
For the preparation of laurel oil 30-40 fresh bay leaves are crushed in a blender and pour 0.2 liters of vegetable oil. Insist the drug for 6-7 days in a dark cool place, shaking daily for mixing. A week later, filtered and used for the treatment of:
- inflammation of the nasal sinuses;
- wounds and abrasions (lubricate the wound surface);
- chronic cholecystitis and gallbladder disease. Butter is added to fermented milk products by 1 tsp. and take before bedtime.
Broth bay leaf treat pain in the joints with inflammation, trauma, degenerative processes.
To prepare the medicine, 30-35 leaves are crushed, 0.3 liters of water are poured, and simmered for 5-10 minutes. Then, without filtering, they shift the foliar mass into a thermos and pour broth, leaving for 12 hours.
To reduce the crunch, pain and swelling of the joints, they take a few sips of the medicine every half hour for 3 days, then take a break for a week and repeat the treatment.
The procedure is recommended to be repeated twice a year.
At the time of treatment, it is necessary to increase the amount of greens, vegetables, fiber in the diet, drink more pure water, as excess fluid is removed from the body with salts dissolved in it. If you experience pain in the lower back, renal colic should stop treatment and consult with a specialist.
Preparation of ointment for joints
To prepare the ointment, the leaves are crushed and mixed with butter in a 1: 2 ratio by volume. The mixture is bathed in a water bath for 25-30 minutes, after which it is cooled and rubbed into sore joints, wrapping them with a warm scarf.
Treatment of colds
- for hot inhalations, bay leaves are poured with boiling water and inhaled with essential oils. Such procedures are useful for pharyngitis, laryngitis, enlarged tonsils, hoarseness, pain and sore throat, runny nose;
- leaves infused for 2 hours in hot water release healing substances. Infusion after cooling, instilled into the ears of 1-2 drops with otitis;
- universal remedy that helps with colds, lowering blood glucose, preventing convulsions is prepared from 0.5 liters of boiling water and 2 tbsp. l leaves of laurel. Leaves need to chop, pour water and simmer in a water bath for 15 minutes. Take 1-2 tbsp. l on an empty stomach 3 times a day;
- adding laurel broth to the water for an evening bath will help to cure or transfer skin diseases to the remission stage, calm the nervous system, and normalize sleep.
Laurel procedures are not recommended for people with:
- Stomach ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- Gallstone disease;
- Problems with stool (for constipation);
- Diabetes mellitus;
Bay leaf treatment is not welcome during pregnancy, as the substances contained in bay leaves increase the uterine tone and can cause miscarriage.