An enlarged lymph nodes is considered a variant of the norm, if they are painless, the skin above them has a usual color, and the body temperature does not rise. Treatment of lymph nodes at home should be carried out on prescription and under the supervision of a physician, since inflammation can be a symptom of a dangerous disease.
What you will find in this article:
Functions of the lymphatic system
Human lymphatic system consists of:
- accumulation of lymphatic tissue in the nasopharynx (tonsils);
- Bone marrow;
- thymus (thymus gland);
- accumulations of lymphoid tissue in the intestine;
- lymph nodes
Between themselves, the elements of the lymphatic system are connected by ducts through which approximately 1.5 liters of lymph circulate — a liquid connective tissue that provides protective, transport, and immune functions.
Normally, the lymph freely enters the intercellular spaces, tissue cells and ducts, removes excess moisture, metabolic products, dead cells, toxic substances that interfere with the functioning of internal organs. Lymphocytes - cells contained in the lymph neutralize viruses and bacteria.
On the neck, under the jaw, in the armpits, the lymphatic vessels form lymph nodes - clusters of tissue that perform barrier and protective functions.
In normal condition, the lymph nodes are oval in shape and up to 1 cm in diameter. After cleansing in the lymph nodes, the blood enters the subclavian veins.
Why do lymph nodes in children increase
In children, quite often the lymph nodes in the neck can be enlarged, but there is no inflammation.
Pay attention to the health of the child and get a pediatrician consultation is necessary if:
- Palpation causes pain, there is swelling;
- Body temperature rises;
- The skin in the lymph node is reddened, hot.
Inflammation of the lymph nodes indicates inflammatory processes in the nasopharynx, oral cavity, and sinuses. The initial diagnosis is to examine the child by a specialist and a general blood test.
Why are inflamed cervical lymph nodes
Lymphadenitis is an inflammation of one or more lymph nodes nearby.
Lymph nodes are enlarged, painful, the skin is hyperemic, the general state of health worsens, the body temperature rises. The inflammatory process is the response of the body to a viral infection of acute respiratory infections, influenza, pharyngitis, herpes. Toxins produced by the virus enter the lymph nodes through the bloodstream and cause inflammation.
Through the blood, microtrauma, cuts in the blood can get bacteria, fungi, in some cases, the infection is of a mixed nature.
Bacterial infection requires appropriate treatment - the appointment of antibiotics. Symptomatically inflamed lymph nodes are treated with heat - compresses, hot water bottles relieve swelling, pain.
If the inflammation lasts more than 14 days, a full examination should be performed to rule out the possibility of malignant tumors.
Prevention of inflammation
To prevent inflammation, the lymphatic system needs regular cleaning: removal of metabolic products, toxins, protein fragments, and starchy compounds. Their accumulation contributes to improper nutrition, adverse environmental conditions, stress.
Slow metabolism leads to fluid retention in the tissues and edema.
Frequent colds, chronic rhinitis, proliferation of lymphatic tissue in the nasopharynx, inflammation and pain in the joints are evidence of pathological processes in the body.
Cleansing the lymph contributes to the discharge of the intestines, liver and kidneys - the organs that take the brunt.
- fresh citrus juices - lemon and orange - contribute to the cleansing of the lymph. The high content of vitamin C stimulates the immune system;
- removal of toxins contributes to the sauna, bath, hot bath with baking soda. It must be borne in mind that these procedures have contraindications.
Folk remedies for the treatment of inflamed lymph nodes
- A decoction of pine needles is rich in vitamin C, stimulates lymphatic enhancement and increases efficiency. For its preparation 1 tbsp. l young pine needles wash, pour ½ liter of cold water and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. after cool, strain, take hot broth three times a day, on an empty stomach of 0.1 l;
- fresh, chopped to a mushy state, the beets are squeezed, wrapped in several layers of gauze and applied to the lymph nodes in the form of a warm compress 2-3 times a day for 30 minutes;
- beet juice drink on an empty stomach for ½ tbsp. At the initial stage of treatment, it can cause a sharp drop in blood pressure, weakness, dizziness. When these symptoms appear, juice is diluted with warm boiled water of 1: 1. At the time of treatment is recommended to abandon the acidic foods and products, which include yeast. With kidney disease, urolithiasis, increased acidity of the stomach, beet juice is contraindicated;
- 2 tbsp. l leaves of black currant pour 0.2 l of boiling water, insist 15-20 minutes, strain, take 1/3 of Art. 3 times a day. The agent is recommended for the treatment of lymph node tuberculosis;
- sage leaves, 2 tbsp. l., pour 0.2 l of boiling water, insist for five minutes, put on a slow fire, do not boil for 2 minutes, remove, cool, strain. Take on an empty stomach 3 times a day and 1 tbsp. l., the tool can be used for warm lotions on the area of inflammation. Sage is contraindicated for people with thyroid dysfunction, low blood pressure, kidney disease, pregnant and lactating women.