About the use of leeches in medicine, it was known thousands of years ago. These creatures were described by such great people as Hippocrates, Ibn Sin and many other scientists. These people first described the treatment with leeches for heart disease, hemorrhoids, pressure, migraines. About leeches, as doctors even knew in ancient Egypt and, oddly enough, ancient Maya.
What you will find in this article:
In Russia, leeches were one of the main tools of Zemstvo doctors, this type was widely used during times of war, when leeches were put on lacerated wounds and fractures. After all, the ability to drool leeches decontaminate and anesthetize saved many wounded soldiers from death.
In the modern world, hirudotherapy has again become popular and relevant. After all, more and more allergic reactions of a person to various pharmaceutical preparations can be found.
Information about why leeches are so popular and what diseases they cure will be described below.
Hirudotherapy and its benefits
As is known, leeches have therapeutic saliva, which contains many useful and necessary for the body elements.
The benefits of leeches are as follows:
- Leeches contribute to the discharge of the circulatory system and the emptying of blood vessels.
- The bite of this worm is on a par with acupuncture, which allows not only to gain, but also to launch the active functioning of many body systems. After all, suction occurs mainly on the biologically important points of the human body.
- Secrets in saliva are saturated with biologically active substances that can improve the condition of the blood and its bloodstream.
The benefit of a leech bite is that a whole complex of substances enter the blood of a person, which can be divided into three groups, namely:
- Immunostimulating and anti-inflammatory.
- The group acting on the vessels , which has anti-ischemic and anti-atherosclerosis action.
- A group capable of stimulating the flow of blood and lymph.
Also now hirudotherapy is in demand in cosmetology. After all, the properties of secret glands of leeches, can improve the condition of the skin, make it more beautiful, supple, soft and elastic.
Treatment with leeches: indications
For the use of leeches as therapy and treatment, there are certain indications of the condition of the body. The effectiveness of the treatment of this type of worms will be maximum for the following diseases:
- Cardiovascular diseases. The following diseases can be attributed to this category - heart disease, hypertension, ischemia, heart attack, stroke, and many other ailments associated with the vessels and blood flow.
- Gastrointestinal diseases. Leech is effective when your liver is not functioning properly. And there are also problems with the digestive organs.
- Neurology and rheumatology. If you are worried about nervosa, arthrosis, sciatica, osteoarthritis, arthritis, dizziness.
- Nephrology and urology. Prostatitis, cystitis, kidney failure, cystalgia - all this can be treated with leeches.
- Diseases of the respiratory organs. This section includes bronchitis , eczema, pleurisy and other diseases.
- Gynecology. Leeches are also effective in treating such diverse gynecological diseases as fibroids, ovarian cyst, fibromastopathy, endometritis, and so on.
- Cosmetology. Hirudotherapy occupies a special place in modern cosmetology, and is used in the presence of such problems as acne, warts, eczema, psoriasis.
- Surgery. Worms in surgery can treat hemorrhoids , boils, varicose veins.
- Endocrinology. Leeches are used if you have obesity or diabetes.
- Pathology of the musculoskeletal system. Effectively treatment with leeches, if you have osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia. Also in cases when your spine is affected by chronic diseases.
- It is worth paying attention to the fact that leeches can improve blood circulation and heal diseased joints.
Contraindications for the use of leeches
Since leeches are a doctor given to people by nature, there are few contraindications for their use:
- Low pressure.
- Menstrual cycle.
- Allergies to certain substances from the secretion of drool.
Leeches and infertility
Have you wondered how any worms have anything to do with getting pregnant? Then, we will help you with the answer. Of course, if you are diagnosed with infertility due to the absence of fallopian tubes, ovaries, then, unfortunately, few people can help you, but do not despair, you can always become a mother!
If you have been diagnosed with adhesions in the fallopian tubes, inflammation in the genitals, and if there are problems with male semen, then here too leeches will come to the rescue!
Leech therapy at home
We want to note at once that all information about the treatment is provided solely for informational purposes, and we strongly recommend that you undergo a course of treatment exclusively under the supervision of a qualified doctor.
Do you want to improve your body? At the same time, you have decided that you will do this with the help of leeches? Then you need to know the following:
- The leeches should be bought in specialized breeding grounds, the so-called farms.
- You need to know your exact diagnosis.
- Need to know the point where to put leeches.
In order for you to be able to conduct a home hirudotherapy session, a standard treatment regimen is offered for your reference.
This treatment regimen is based on 10 sessions, which take place with an interval of 3 days. After completing the course, you must take a break for a quarter, and repeat the course again.
As mentioned earlier, the consultation of the doctor is obligatory, because only he can develop a correct and effective scheme that will be able to have the maximum result.
For familiarization purposes, we lay out the standard scheme of how to properly place leeches for the most common diseases.
The figure shows all the points at which the leech is attached. And what is the point, which disease belongs to, see the decoding below:
Point 1, 8 - hypertension, eye diseases, hot flashes during menopause, migraine.
Point 2 - sinusitis and other inflammatory processes in the sinuses.
Point 3 - with diseases of the organs of vision.
Point 4 - heart attack.
Point 5.8 - problems of the liver and gallbladder.
Point 6 - appendicular infiltrates.
Point 7 - diseases of the teeth and gums.
Point 9 - gynecological diseases, inflammation of the sciatic nerve.
Point 10 - varicose veins, thrombophlebitis (staggered around the vein).
Point 11 - trophic ulcers.
Point 12 - inflammation of the joints.
Point 13 - high blood pressure.
Leech therapy summarize
From all of the above, we can conclude that leeches are a good way to make the veins and vessels of our body more healthy, and blood is cleaner.
Also, therapy with the help of medical leeches can help in the treatment of many diseases and ailments of the human body.
Also, we will be grateful to you for the comments left, if you practiced hirudotherapy, and tell us how it helped you.