For many women, menstruation is accompanied by severe cramps and pain, especially on the first or second day. According to statistics, only a quarter of women suffer menstruation without pain. What pain reliever for menstruation is effective and safe, what should be preferred - medicines or folk remedies?
What you will find in this article:
Causes of pain during menstruation
During the period between two periods in the uterus, the endometrial layer grows: so the woman's body prepares for possible conception and pregnancy. If during the cycle the fertilized egg is not fixed in the uterus, all the resulting endometrium is rejected and leaves the body through the vagina. Since it is well enough to supply blood, the process is accompanied by bleeding, menstruation begins.
Why does the stomach hurt?
- The process is accompanied by rhythmic contractions of the smooth muscles of the uterus. In some women, the pain threshold is higher, in others - lower, so the pain in intensity can vary significantly;
- Severe pain may indicate diseases of the pelvic organs. We are talking about inflammatory processes in the uterus and appendages, neoplasms, endometriosis;
- Deficiency of magnesium and calcium leads to menstrual disorders and sharp pain during menstruation;
- Genetic predisposition - the tendency to pain and discomfort during menstruation in many cases is inherited;
- The impact of external factors - physical and mental overload, stress, smoking, overweight, unhealthy diet.
Primary dysmenorrhea is not associated with gynecological pathologies, it is often observed in adolescents until the stabilization of the permanent cycle.
Secondary dysmenorrhea is the result of physiological disorders occurring in the female body. The pain may be caused by an intrauterine device.
Ways to relieve pain during menstruation
Before anesthetizing and relieving discomfort with the help of drugs, you should try to apply physiological methods to relax smooth muscles:
- Soft heat on the lower abdomen - hot water bottle, warm shower. The duration of the procedure is 15-20 minutes. However, it is necessary to be sure that there is no inflammatory process in the pelvis, during which the heat exposure can be greatly aggravated;
- “Embryo posture” - if you lie down, twisting into a ball, stretching your knees to your chest and lowering your chin, you can greatly alleviate the condition and relieve pain. It is advisable to mute the light and eliminate sound stimuli;
- During critical days, it is recommended to reduce physical activity, walk at a quiet pace, but not lift weights, to refuse to visit the gym;
- Proper nutrition during menstruation will help you feel better: you should refuse coffee, fatty, salty, spicy foods, seasonings, mayonnaise, sweets and give preference to foods rich in fiber (greens, fruits, vegetables, avoiding gas formation and fermentation);
- Smoking increases the pain during menstruation. If you do not have the strength to give up cigarettes, you should at least reduce their number;
- Nutritionists recommend drinking at least 1.5 liters of pure water during the day. During menstruation, this volume can be increased to 2 liters, if there is no tendency to edema.
If the pain is severe, you should not torture yourself; there are quite a lot of pharmaceutical preparations that help to alleviate the condition.
How to reduce pain with monthly painkillers
NPS - nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Preparations in this category have anti-inflammatory, analgesic and mild antipyretic effects. They can be taken as a preventive measure for a day or two before the expected menstruation and throughout it:
- Nimesulide is applied orally, subcutaneously, intramuscularly, rectally. Among the contraindications - hypersensitivity to the drug, gastric and duodenal ulcers, renal and hepatic failure, alcoholism, high body temperature. The maximum daily dose - 4 tablets, after meals, drink plenty of water.
- Preparations of acetylsalicylic acid anesthetize, relieve inflammation and thin the blood. Tablets are taken after meals 3-4 times a day. Aspirin is an inexpensive and effective remedy for pain, but it can not be strictly combined with taking even small doses of alcohol. Overdose causes severe damage to internal organs. The maximum daily dose should not exceed 4 g.
- Indomethacin reduces the production of prostaglandin-substances that provoke pain in the focus of inflammation, increase tissue permeability. After taking indomethacin is quickly absorbed, to reduce the waiting time, you should use rectal suppositories.
- Clinically studied and proven safety and efficacy of ibuprofen. Tablets are allowed for adults and adolescents over 14 years old. The medicine is taken after meals with a large amount of water. Precautions need to take women suffering from gastric ulcer, gastritis, enterocolitis, chronic hepatitis.
- Naproxen is used for dysmenorrhea, using its analgesic effect. The drug is quickly and fully absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, has a high bioavailability, which is not affected by food intake, the maximum concentration in the blood plasma is reached in 2-4 hours. Available in the form of tablets and rectal suppositories.
- Diclofenac has a very strong analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. The drug not only reduces pain, but also reduces blood loss during menstruation. In primary dysmenorrhea, the initial dose ranges from 50-150 mg / day. Therapy can begin with the appearance of the first symptoms.
For the treatment of dysmenorrhea, often secondary, non-narcotic analgesics are used as painkillers.
- Analgin is a cheap and effective drug that begins to act within 20-30 minutes. In addition to oral and rectal, possibly intramuscular medication. Contraindicated in women with individual intolerance to the components of the drug, with diseases of the bone marrow and blood, with low systolic pressure.
- Ketanov has a strong analgesic effect. Available in the form of tablets and solution for intramuscular injection. It does not inhibit psychomotor functions, does not inhibit the respiratory center.
- Paracetamol has a high analgesic effect along with low toxicity, suitable for short-term use. Long courses adversely affect liver health.
Drugs that relax smooth muscles and provide anesthetic effect are good helpers for pain relief during menstruation.
- No-spa or drotaverine is the most popular drug. It relieves muscle spasms and improves local blood circulation. The drug begins to act after half an hour after administration. Drotaverine is almost 100% metabolized by the liver and after 72 hours is completely excreted from the body.
- Spazmalgon has a weak anti-inflammatory effect, relieves spasms and is recommended for short-term therapy. May cause dizziness, weakening of attention and vision.
The list can be supplemented with oral contraceptives, the use of which reduces the growth of the endometrium, makes menstruation more scarce and less painful.
Pain relief for menstruation for teenagers
Primary dysmenorrhea in adolescents is stopped by taking medications from the above groups. The main condition is the age factor, the drug must pass a clinical trial and have indications for use from 12-14 years.
Along with analgesics and antispasmodics (no-spa, baralgin, analgin, spazmalgon), adolescents are prescribed sedatives of weak action - valerian, motherwort. Acceptance of any drugs should be strictly metered and made under the supervision of adults.
- The pain is very strong and can not be stopped by drugs;
- In addition to pain, there is chills, fever, pain when urinating;
- There is itching and burning in the vagina;
- Nausea or vomiting has opened;
- Confusion or loss of consciousness occurs;
- Bleeding is abundant, blood is pale,
should call an ambulance immediately.
Is it possible to relieve pain during menstruation with the help of herbal medicine? This is what traditional medicine recommends:
- 2 tbsp. l chopped valerian root pour 0.25 liters of boiling water, heat for 15 minutes in a water bath. Cool, strain, take 3 times a day, 4 tbsp. l .;
- 1 tbsp. l grass horsetail pour 0.25 liters of boiling water, insist in a thermos for 1 hour, strain, drink 50 ml every 2-3 hours;
- Beet juice diluted with water in a 1: 1 ratio and drink in small portions (sips) throughout the day. It should be borne in mind that the juice greatly lowers blood pressure and this method of treatment is contraindicated for women with hypotension;
- 1 tbsp. l dill seeds pour 0.25 liters of water, bring to a boil, cool and filter. Drink in three parts throughout the day.
- 5-7 leaves of raspberry wash, chop, pour 0.2 l of boiling water. After 15 minutes, strain, drink during the day;
- Middle carrot clean, wash, pour 1 liter of water. After boiling boil for 1-2 minutes, insist in a thermos for 15-20 minutes. Broth to drink during the day portions of 0.2-0.3 l.
If the pain during menstruation interferes with work, makes you change your usual way of life, you should consult a gynecologist and establish its cause. The doctor will tell you whether to drink painkillers, get sedated or need complex therapy to get rid of diseases in the pelvic area. Painful periods can serve as a signal about problems with conception, you should not dismiss the problem.