Time provided first aid for sunburn will save the skin from significant damage and prevent the development of serious diseases.
What you will find in this article:
A bit of sunburn
Sunburn is an inflammation of the skin due to strong UV exposure. Get a sunburn after a long stay in the sun or in the solarium.
Light-skinned people are more prone to such burns. Dark-skinned people are less prone, since this type of skin is more protected from the action of ultraviolet radiation.
Sunburn can be obtained even while in the shade, 40% of the UV rays are affected there. Treatment of burns should not be neglected, as they can accelerate the aging process of the skin, the appearance of wrinkles.
In an adult person, sunburn can occur after 20 minutes in the sun. Children need five to seven minutes. Most sunburns are first-degree burns, blister burns are second-degree burns.
Being under the bright sun, it is imperative to use some kind of protective measure against burns. In order to avoid serious consequences, you should know how to treat sunburn.
Symptoms and diagnosis
Sunburns are characterized by reddening of the skin and unpleasant sensations, which depend on skin type and degree of burn.
The mild symptoms include the following symptoms:
- Skin redness
- Feeling of burning and stinging
- Pain when touching burned skin
- Slight swelling
- Scorched skin itches and burns
People with hypersensitivity to the sun can increase body temperature, chills, dizziness, nausea.
With severe sunburn, blisters form. The victim may lose consciousness. Often a severe burn provokes fever and hyperthermia. With such a degree it is necessary to seek help from a doctor.
Sunburn does not appear immediately. It is usually only after two hours on the skin about the fifth day. Sometimes a burn has no obvious symptoms. But still, a long stay in the sun or in a tanning bed harms the skin, increases the risk of wrinkles and the development of skin cancer.
Light sunburns can be cured at home. Seek medical attention if, after a burn, there is weakness, vomiting, headache and blisters.
First aid for sunburn
Lovers soak up the sun, it is important to know what to do when the first symptoms of sunburn:
- It is necessary to hide in the shadows, it is best to go into a cool room. If possible, take off your clothes so that your skin breathes more easily.
- If necessary, take an anesthetic drug.
- Drink plenty of cool, but not cold, liquid.
- A cool compress should be applied to the damaged area of the skin or a cool water bath should be taken.
- Do not injure burnt skin with any detergent (soap, gels), even with a towel it is better not to wipe
- Damaged skin should be treated with special means after sunburn (ointments, creams, gels)
- In order to avoid ORVI, one should not cool down the body, turn on the air condition
Redness of the skin does not mean that the "sunburn". This is how a first-degree sunburn manifests itself and further exposure under the sun will only aggravate the condition of the skin and the body.
Usually, parts of the body that are more accessible to the sun's rays — the nose, forehead, shoulders, and neck — burn away most quickly. In order to avoid edema, burn treatment should begin immediately. After receiving the burn, six hours in a row on the damaged skin need to apply cooling compresses or lotions. You can use aloe juice, cool black tea with ice cubes, cucumber juice or tomato juice. Antihistamines can help relieve itching and burning.
After cooling, the reddened skin needs to be moistened. Than anoint the skin - for this means suitable after tanning, wound healing cream, gel or ointment. To relieve skin inflammation, you can use Panthenol spray. Well help cream "Bepanten." It contains dexpanthenol, which has a healing and anti-inflammatory effect. It can be used to treat burns in children.
When the burned skin begins to peel off, you need to use a fatty-based product to protect the new, tender layer of skin. It is even recommended to use sea buckthorn, petrolatum or vegetable oil.
What is saved from sunburn?
It is important to remember that the best protection is the use of special sunscreens. You also need to control the residence time under solar radiation. Sunbathing should be before 11 and after 17 hours to avoid strong sun activity. Under the sun you need to wear a hat and sunglasses.
Not always with you have all the necessary means to treat burns, and pharmacies may not be nearby. In the fight against sunburns can be very effective folk remedies.
Some ways to get rid of burns:
- If the burn occurred on the face, you should immediately start with cooling. On the burned areas of the face impose cool lotions. Perfect as a cucumber. Thin slices of cucumber need to put on face for 30 minutes.
- Sour cream perfectly relieve pain and redness. Smetannuyu mask should be applied to the burnt skin is not 30 minutes. If sour cream is applied on time, then the redness will quickly subside, and the skin will not "slazit". Burnt back, arms and legs are well treated with sour cream. It is not recommended to apply it on the face.
- Applied watermelon pulp will also reduce itching and pain, relieve heat.
- Coconut oil will moisturize burnt skin, reduce itching and blistering. The oil has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. Can be combined with aloe vera juice.
Long-term exposure to the sun can lead to unpleasant and ugly consequences. It is necessary to protect the skin and in time to treat the first symptoms of sunburn.