Feeling cold in the legs causes discomfort and the desire to immediately warm. Cold weather, wet shoes, lack of heating are natural causes that require no further explanation. Why feet even at home, in a warm room at room temperature freeze?
What you will find in this article:
Why are my legs cold?
The hands and feet have a relatively weak musculature and are almost devoid of fat. The heat source is the blood circulating in large and not very large vessels.
In the heat, with normal blood circulation, there is enough energy to keep your arms and legs warm. In cold weather, the lumen of the blood vessels narrows, the microcirculation is disturbed and the limbs are cold. It is known that the best way to warm up in this case is to start moving, sink, run, if you can rub your feet indoors or put them in a basin of warm water. Such measures will bring the desired result, blood circulation will increase and the legs will warm.
If the efforts made do not bring success, and the legs freeze constantly, then there is probably a pathology that needs to be identified and treated.
Causes of circulatory disorders:
- Hypertension / hypotension. High and low blood pressure to the same extent can cause cold feet. In the first case, the vessels are narrowed and the microcirculation is disturbed, in the second, the pressure of the blood is not sufficiently intense and the result is the same. A similar situation is observed in vegetative-vascular dystonia.
- Varicose veins of the lower extremities. The weakening of the venous walls leads to stagnation of blood, impaired circulation and cooling of the legs.
- Endocrine disorders - diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, menopause in women. In endocrine pathologies, the feet often sweat despite being very cold.
- The source of energy for cells and tissues of the human body is oxygen. The gas molecules from the lungs carry red blood cells - erythrocytes, binding oxygen to hemoglobin. Low hemoglobin is the cause of anemia, one of the symptoms of which is freezing feet.
- Persistent spasm of the arteries of the legs, which results in smoking, alcoholism, injuries, prolonged hypothermia, and infectious diseases, is called obliterating endarteritis and is characterized by inflammation of the arterial walls, narrowing of their lumen up to complete blockage. This problem is often found in men with great smoking experience.
- Violation of the innervation of the legs after a stroke.
- The effects of frostbite.
- Blood thickening and insufficient blood supply to the legs in violation of the water balance in the body.
- Osteochondrosis of the lumbar spine.
Feet cold: what to do?
If freezing feet are disturbed often and for no apparent reason, seek medical advice and establish the cause.
In the list of measures "first aid" can be offered:
- Walking barefoot (in the warm season), on an uneven surface - small pebbles, sand, grass, dew. At home, you can use a rug with spikes, prickles, protrusions. Such walking irritates the nerve endings of the feet, improving microblood circulation.
- Benefit will bring activities of active sports with a load for the legs, walking, running, skating, rollerblading, swimming, cycling.
- Contrast foot bath or full body contrast shower, evening bath with coniferous extract or salt.
- Daily foot massage, including stroking, patting, rubbing, tingling. It is necessary to massage not only the feet, but also each finger separately.
- The leg-to-foot posture is harmful not only from the point of view of psychologists, it speaks of internal problems, closeness, unwillingness to make contact, but also from the point of view of medicine: the blood vessels are pinched, the blood circulation of the legs is disturbed.
- Reducing the number of cigarettes smoked, consumed tea, coffee, spices gives a noticeable result after a short period of time.
- In the autumn-winter period, you should give preference to comfortable wide shoes from natural materials, wear warm woolen or cotton socks in your boots, and keep your feet dry.
- Control of water-salt balance allows you to maintain optimal blood viscosity. Doctors recommend drinking daily about two liters of pure water. For a child, this figure is slightly lower, but everyone needs clean water.
- Strong immunity is a guarantee of well-being. As a preventive measure - tempering, a balanced diet and adequate amounts of vitamins, especially ascorbic acid.
Why feet freeze in old age?
Over the years, there is a weakening and reduction in the number of muscles, metabolic processes slow down, hormonal changes, and chronic diseases develop. All this leads to impaired blood circulation and a feeling of coldness in the legs of the elderly.
Simple exercises and traditional methods of treatment are recommended to warm the legs. Drugs that improve blood circulation and blood thinning should be prescribed by a doctor, self-treatment is unacceptable!
- To warm the legs will help the pan with hot water. It is covered with a lid, legs are put on top in socks and the design is covered with a warm blanket. Care must be taken not to overturn the pan or burn;
- In a bowl of hot water, add 1 tbsp. l dry mustard powder and feet soar for 10-15 minutes, then wipe well and put on socks;
- After the massage, 6% apple cider vinegar is applied to the feet with light movements, allowed to soak in, and wool socks are put on. Instead of vinegar, you can use vodka, alcohol tinctures, cologne;
- 1 tsp mix red pepper in 0.1 l of vodka, close the vessel and leave in a dark place for 10 days. Strained tincture is rubbed overnight in the skin of the feet and put on socks;
- A little extract of red pepper, a few drops of rosemary oil and camphor oil mixed with baby cream or fat, rub into the skin of the foot, after soaking wear socks;
- 2-3 drops of essential rosemary, cinnamon or clove oil stir in 1 tbsp. l warm milk, then pour it into a basin with hot water and lower legs into water for 10-20 minutes;
- Honey and vegetable tincture has a strengthening effect. For its preparation mix 0.2 liters of honey, the juice of one lemon, 0.2 liters of carrot, beetroot and horseradish juice. The mixture is stored in the refrigerator, consumed in the morning, on an empty stomach, 2 tbsp. l The course is repeated 1 time per season.
Traditional methods in combination with an active lifestyle in the absence of serious pathologies will give a visible result in 2-3 weeks.