Adverse environmental conditions, unhealthy diet, mental stress adversely affect health. Iodine deficiency causes numerous disturbances, which can be compensated using the beneficial properties of kelp - sea edible algae.
What you will find in this article:
Meet the sea kale
Brown algae, a typical representative of which is kelp, have a body-thallus and a prototype of the roots of land plants - rhizoids, for attachment to the substrate.
Thallus can have tens of meters in length, is a smooth or wavy plate. The habitat depth of kelp habitats, forming dense thickets - up to 10 meters, although there are algae and deeper.
The chemical composition of the "leaves" of kelp determines its application.
Types of kelp
- Laminaria sugary grows in the Black, North Sea and the Far East. The thallus has a high content of iodine compounds - up to 3%. Thallus plates are harvested in summer and early autumn. Besides iodine, sugary kelp is rich in:
- algin and alginic acid;
- vitamins of group B, D, C;
Used in cooking, medicine, cosmetology.
- Laminaria Japanese grows in the Sea of Japan and the Sea of Okhotsk. This type of kelp has the best taste, the plates are thinner and softer than other kelp. It is preferable to eat a thick part of the middle of the thallus of the second year of life. It contains the maximum amount of nutrients and medicinal substances. Thalluses of the first year are used for technical purposes. In China, Japanese kelp is cultivated on an industrial scale.
- Palmarine kelp got its name for the appearance of thallus. This type of kelp is part of many drugs for lowering cholesterol and treating atherosclerosis, an endemic goiter, with a reduced secretion of the stomach. In addition, palmatologic dissecting kelp is used to remove radionuclides and salts of heavy metals from the body.
The use of seaweed in medicine
The main trump of laminaria for its use in pharmacology is a high percentage of iodine compounds, the deficiency of which is quite common in children and adults in various regions of the country.
Thanks to iodine, the body absorbs protein, calcium, iron, phosphorus; it dilutes blood, stimulates the production of enzymes, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Vitamin and enzymatic composition of seaweed contributes to the regeneration of the mucous membranes of the nasopharynx, oral cavity, internal organs, intestines.
Halogens contained in kelp have an antioxidant and antiseptic effect.
Iodine is very important for women, the use of kelp helps:
- Normalization of the menstrual cycle, stabilization of ovarian function;
- Relieves the symptoms of menopause.
If there are problems with digestion (constipation), kelp can normalize the process of defecation.
In order not to harm the body, it is necessary to take into account contraindications for the use of kelp in food and as a medicine:
- Nephritis - inflammatory processes in various parts of the kidneys;
- Hemorrhagic diathesis - increased tendency to bleeding;
- Urticaria is a special form of allergic reactions;
- Pregnancy - the use of iodine during pregnancy should be strictly metered and agreed with the supervising doctor, since overdose threatens the health of the unborn child;
- Furunculosis and certain types of acne;
- Diseases in which iodine preparations are contraindicated.
How and from what to take kelp drugs
With constipation and intestinal atony
- Laminariade, due to the high molecular weight polysaccharides contained in seaweed, can swell in the gastrointestinal tract and have a mild laxative effect;
- A similar effect has kelp tablets. The drug is used, also, with iodine deficiency, for the prevention of thyroid dysfunction and atherosclerosis.
- Laminaria extract in the form of granules taken with digestive problems. The instruction recommends to dissolve them in water to obtain a suspension.
For the thyroid gland
- Alfit-4, a kelp-based herbal medicine, is designed to protect the thyroid gland from iodine deficiency and strengthen the body as a whole. Due to the balanced composition, in which the herbs complement and stabilize the action of each other, the fitosbor is indicated for women for the treatment of gynecological disorders (uterine myoma, mastopathy). Fights the growth of tumors, relieves psychological discomfort. It has no contraindications.
- The AltaiFit-6 collection, which includes, in addition to kelp, lungwort, cinquefoil, mint and rosehip, is intended for the treatment of conditions associated with iodine deficiency. It normalizes the work of the central nervous system, relieves tension, normalizes appetite and sleep, strengthens the immune system, reduces the tone of smooth muscles, stabilizes hormones and helps fight excess weight.
- Hypothyreonorm capsules are indicated for impaired thyroid function, prevention of nodular, endemic and toxic goiter, and treatment of thyroid hyperplasia. The drug is taken throughout the month, 1 capsule in the morning and evening, on an empty stomach, half an hour before meals.
- Collection Fitol-6 (thyroid) is produced in the form of briquettes. The composition is designed to normalize the functions of the thyroid gland, recommended for diseases (tumors) in the small pelvis. Strengthens the immune system, increases vitality. Herbal briquettes pour water and drink like herbal tea.
For weight reduction and body shaping
Bran with vegetables, which include kelp and corn stigmas, contain the amount of B vitamins necessary for the body, fiber.
They regulate metabolism, promote timely bowel release. Bran can be added to ready-made meals or used as an independent product, drinking plenty of water.
In addition to the already mentioned properties for the prevention and control of benign tumors, in gynecological practice, use kelp sticks to open the cervix. The mechanism is based on the high ability of kelp to absorb water. The bundle of algae introduced into the cervical canal with a diameter of about 1 centimeter quickly increases, stretching the neck. Thus, disclosure and delivery is stimulated.
After 12 hours (sometimes it takes a little more time), the bundle of sticks is easily removed, and the obstetrician assesses the condition of the cervix and readiness for childbirth.
Beauty salon at home
In cosmetology, kelp is used as one of the components in masks for the face. Beauty Recipes:
- For the preparation you will need dry kelp, which needs to be crushed, or the finished powder. 1 tbsp. l raw materials pour 0.2 liters of water at room temperature. After an hour and a half, the gruel will swell and be ready for use. It is necessary to squeeze out excess moisture, apply on the face with an even layer and cover with a gauze napkin. The duration of the procedure is 20 minutes. Rinse the pulp with warm water and apply cream to the skin.
- To rejuvenate mature skin, ½ tsp can be added to kelp. melted honey in a water bath.
- 2 tbsp. l Swollen kelp powder mixed with raw egg yolk and ½ tsp. lemon juice, apply on the skin of the face, neck, décolleté for 15 minutes, remove with a cloth moistened with warm water, soften the skin with a nourishing cream.
- For oily skin is useful to mix kelp with egg white and leave on the skin for 10-15 minutes. After the mask, be sure to apply face cream.
- For mature skin (wrinkles), it is helpful to add basic and essential oils (peach, almond, jojoba, olive, tea tree, eucalyptus) to kelp.
- For dry skin, kelp is mixed with grape seed oil, olive or shea butter in a 2: 1 ratio and left on the skin for 20 minutes. After removing the mask, the skin is greased with a greasy cream.
- For the care of mixed skin 1 tsp. glycerin is mixed with an equal amount of warm water. To 1 tbsp. l 1 tsp added to the swollen and pressed laminaria. warm vegetable oil and the same glycerin solution. The mixture is applied in a thin layer for 10-15 minutes.
Similarly, dried seaweed is crushed and filled with water, allowing it to swell. Pressed gruel is applied to the scalp and hair along the entire length. Top wrapped with cling film and a towel. The duration of the procedure is 1.5 hours. The substances that make up the kelp nourish the scalp, stimulate blood circulation, promote the growth and health of hair.
In the hair mask, you can add egg yolk, 1 tsp. cognac, onion gruel, burdock oil.
Sea kelp contains substances that make it possible to lose weight and adjust the shape. Laminaria wraps help eliminate excess water and toxins from the body, burn fat and improve skin tone.
It is best to use large fragments of the thallus previously soaked in water. But if this is not possible, you can use powder.
Laminaria is applied to problem areas, wrapped with cling film and left for 1-2 hours.
Instead of kelp, you can use other algae - fucus or spirulina.
How to eat kelp in food
Peculiarities of sea kale, as a complete dish, are in its low calorie content and, at the same time, great benefits.
- Salad of seaweed. Dice 2 hard-boiled chicken eggs, 1 large green apple and 150 g marinated kelp. Sprinkle with lemon juice, add vegetable oil and pine nuts to taste.
- On sale you can find kelp chips with carrots, onions, garlic. They can easily replace the bread.
- For those who absolutely can not stand the smell and taste of kelp, a biologically active additive (gel) with seaweed is sold, allowing you to compensate for iodine deficiency and not torture yourself with cooking from sea kale.
Laminaria - a useful, necessary product that must be present in the diet. However, before intensively starting to eat sea kale, you should consult with your doctor to eliminate possible contraindications and negative health effects of the product.