The crunch in the joints does not necessarily accompany the pathology, quite often it does not carry the danger. But to ignore the constantly emerging sounds, especially if they are combined with discomfort and pain, it is impossible. Causes and treatment of crunch in the knees - the topic of today's conversation.
What you will find in this article:
Why joints crunch
The structure of the knee joint resembles a hinge: the head of the other enters the hollow of one bone, while moving they move relative to each other. To facilitate sliding and reduce friction, articular (synovial) fluid is produced in the joint.
The liquid is heterogeneous, it contains foreign inclusions, among which the least “dangerous” are carbon dioxide bubbles. If during the bending and straightening of the knees there are audible soft clicks, a crunch, which does not manifest itself physically, the cause of such a crunch are bursting gas bubbles. After some time, they form again and the crunch resumes.
Your knees may crackle slightly or, on the contrary, quite loudly. Such sounds are not pathological and are not dangerous.
Another reason for the "safe" crunch is the contact of the ligament apparatus and the bone areas that form the joint. Such sounds are especially frequent in adolescence during the formation of the skeleton.
However, according to statistics, approximately 15% of people who have their knees snapped and crunched suffer from an initial form of arthrosis. How not to miss the onset of the disease?
If the joint crunches during exercise: walking, climbing stairs, squats, then the causes of extraneous sounds can be:
- inflammation of the joint, as the tissues swell, deform, increase in size, which leads to constant contact with the articular surfaces. Pain is a characteristic feature of arthritis and similar diseases;
- joint deformity and disruption of its functioning. Arthrosis is not rarely accompanied by a decrease in the amount of joint fluid;
- violation of water-salt metabolism. The accumulation of uric acid salts in the tissues leads to a restriction of its mobility, tissue edema and severe pain. Without treatment, gout on the surfaces of the bones are formed cones, protrusions, bumps;
- injury to joints, fractures, cracks interfere with normal functioning. Incorrectly accrete bones, unrecovered joints can cause the development of arthrosis;
- pathological processes occurring in the liver, violate the synthesis of collagen and reduce the mobility of the ligaments, hence the pain and crunch in the joints;
- obesity - overweight causes additional, sometimes, excessive stress on the joints. The knees and the hip joint are particularly hard, since they bear the main burden;
- shoes with high heels. Physiologically, nature provides for walking on a flat foot, the heel causes a redistribution of the load, gives additional strain to the knees.
What to do if your knees crunch
In order to understand what a crunch in the knees means - harmless gas bubbles or the beginning of a serious illness, one should undergo an examination and diagnose the cause of unpleasant sounds. As a matter of urgency, you should consult a doctor if pain, swelling, joint swelling, restricted mobility, and numbness are added to the sounds.
Among the diagnostic methods used:
- Visual inspection, palpation of the joint;
- Collection of analyzes;
- Ultrasound procedure;
- CT scan;
- Magnetic resonance therapy.
Magnetic resonance therapy provides the clearest picture of the situation. Along with direct examination of the joint, a study of the condition of the kidneys and liver is carried out.
Traditional medicine treatment methods
A physiological crunch, if it does not cause psychological discomfort, it is not necessary to treat it, it is not dangerous.
After the survey, it becomes clear what the cause is and what disease should be treated to eliminate the unpleasant symptom as well.
Therapy involves several stages:
- reduction (elimination) of pain - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (ibufen, nimesulide, diclofenac, and others);
- removal of inflammation and swelling - ointment on the basis of pepper, snake venom, Dimexidum improve blood circulation and nutrition, contribute to the outflow of lymph;
- restoration of the functions of cartilage and joint mobility in general - chondroprotectors, which can be drunk in the form of capsules or tablets (teraflex), injected intramuscularly (alflutop), injected directly into the articular cavity (only in the hospital, the doctor does!)
How to treat crunch in the knees folk remedies
If the joint creaks and crunches, but there is no urgent opportunity to visit a doctor, you can try the recipes offered by alternative medicine.
To increase joint mobility, treatment and prevention of diseases, recovery from injuries and fractures, it is recommended to use jelly, aspic, jellied meat daily.
Preparing jelly, it is not left to solidify, and drink warm broth, obtained after 4-5 hours of cooking beef in the bone. You need to drink 1.5 cups 3-4 times a day for a month.
Substances with which fresh parsley is rich stimulate the liver, which, in turn, has a positive effect on the health of the joints.
If the knee joint crunches, you need to prepare parsley infusion and take it for 14 days.
To prepare the parsley roots, wash, finely chop and fall asleep in a thermos, then pour ½ liter of hot boiled milk. After 12 hours, the infusion is ready, it must be filtered through cheesecloth. The resulting fluid is the daily dose that you need to drink in three doses.
Celery roots and parsley (100 g each) chop and mix, pour ½ liter of hot water. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for another 5-6 minutes, then cool and strain.
To the broth add 1 -2 tbsp. l honey and juice of one lemon. Drink in the morning, taking 6-7 sips. Store in the refrigerator for no more than 3 days.
Freshly squeezed juice of one medium orange mixed with 0.1 liters of vegetable oil, the mixture is well moisten gauze, folded in several layers. Apply a compress to the sore joint, cover the top with cling film and a warm diaper. The duration of the procedure is 30 minutes, the duration of the course is 2 weeks.
Chop chop the bran and pour warm milk. After swelling, approximately in 20-30 minutes, a mass is applied to the gauze bandage and a compress is made. The duration of the procedure is 1 hour. Similarly, you can use oatmeal (3-4 hours l. Per 0.2 l of boiling water).
Crunch prevention in the knees
A huge role in maintaining the health of the joints is played by proper nutrition. In the diet should be:
- foods rich in calcium - milk and dairy products, hard cheeses, sesame, dill, basil, parsley, fatty sea fish, nuts, seafood, chocolate;
- vitamin A (carrots, egg yolk, watermelon, peaches, blueberries), B 1 (cabbage, carrots, peas, potatoes), B 2 (milk, cottage cheese, nuts, eggs), B 6 (tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, oranges) , D (red fish, fish oil, dairy products), E (vegetable oil, sea buckthorn, almond nuts, sweet cherry), C (citrus, wild rose, parsley, black currant, sweet pepper), K (pumpkin, tomatoes, peas);
- products containing gelatin.
For the joints are not useful smoked and salted foods.
Benefit will be physical education, swimming.
Complex exercises for pain in the knees according to Bubnovsky
Acute pain in the back and knees will help to remove physical exercise:
- Kneeling forward (for each step). To perform the exercise, you need to stand on all fours, crawling forward at every step, straightening one leg and dropping the body to the floor.
- Lying on your back, arms behind your head, do twisting. Legs should be firmly pressed to the floor. Under the back put a salt water bottle.
- In the same position, simultaneously lift the leg bent at the knee and pull the knee to the opposite elbow.
- Move on your knees (back straight).
- Kneel down, straighten your back, put on the calf gymnastic mat or towel rolled into a roll. Lower the pelvis on the mat as low as possible, remain in that position for 20-30 seconds, take the starting position. Repeat the exercise without a mat.
- Sit on the floor, stretch your legs in front of you. Hand holding the toe of the foot, bend the leg at the knee, then straighten and keep on weight. Return to the original position and repeat the second foot.
- "Stepping" on the buttocks, arms clasped in front of the chest.
- Pushing up from the floor, legs crossed at the knees and lifting them above the floor.
From this video, you will learn how to restore joint health.
A crunch in the knees is only a symptom that can be completely harmless if it is not accompanied by pain and discomfort. You need to listen to your body, take care of it, eat right and provide adequate physical activity. No doctor will not help if you do not look after your health yourself.