Among other essential oils, the use of camphor oil is widespread. It is a component of creams, lotions, drugs.
What you will find in this article:
How to make camphor oil
Essential camphor oil has a characteristic smell, has a lot of useful properties.
To obtain camphor oil, wood is processed by Japanese laurels that have reached forty or more years. A long-lived tree can reach 4-5 m in diameter and grow up to fifty meters in height. Earlier, Japanese laurels grew mainly in Japan (for which they got their name), in Indonesia and in the south of China. In order to spread industrial populations, these trees began to grow in other regions: Brazil, India, in southern Europe and even in the Caucasus.
Camphor oil is found in stem cells, bark, leaves, and flowers.
The most purified and concentrated essential oils are obtained by the method of steam distillation: the crushed parts of the plant are placed in glass flasks and heated with water vapor to high temperatures. From plant cells, the oil concentrate in the form of steam is sublimated upwards, and then it is deposited in glass tubes due to the temperature drop and is collected in special containers.
As a result of a fifteen hour distillation, a liquid containing different fractions of the oil is obtained. They are separated using the difference in boiling points.
- White camphor oil is very popular in perfumery, cosmetology, aromatherapy
- The red fraction is used for technical purposes.
- Crystal camphor has been used in medicine
To reduce the cost of the product instead of Japanese laurel wood, fir branches are used, fractioning fir oil. Crystalline camphor (synthetic) is obtained from turpentine.
How to apply camphor oil
The composition of camphor essential oil determines its properties and makes it possible to use it in medicine. It helps:
- Coping with microbial infection
- Reduce inflammation
- Improve local blood flow
- Stop pain
Camphor oil is used as an expectorant, metabolic, and analeptic.
Despite the obvious benefits in the use of camphor oil, both in medicine and in cosmetology, there are contraindications.
In order not to harm the body, it should be remembered that:
- Camphor toxicity makes possible only external and parenteral use of drugs with its content. Take camphor oil inside is impossible;
- For the treatment of children, it is necessary to enlist the support and permission of a pediatrician; use camphor in pediatrics should be very careful, if possible replacing it with similar safe preparations;
- It is not recommended to use camphor oil during pregnancy and lactation;
- Before using camphor for medical or cosmetic purposes, allergy tests should be carried out (apply a few drops of oil on the wrist or the inner surface of the elbow. If the reaction to the substance does not appear after 24 hours, it can be used);
- With caution prescribed drugs, which include camphor, hypertensive patients, people suffering from mental illness, epilepsy, cardiovascular diseases, who have a convulsive readiness;
- Camphor oil should not be applied to injured skin, wounds, abrasions, scratches;
- For cosmetic purposes, only white camphor oil is used;
- When treating, do not combine camphor and homeopathy, since they can neutralize each other.
Camphor oil treatment
For therapeutic purposes, camphor oil is used to treat acute respiratory diseases, inflammatory processes in the airways and lungs.
With a cold, camphor oil can be used in several ways:
- Rub in the chest and back, wrap with polyethylene on top, put on warm pajamas, cover the patient with a blanket and allow to sweat well. This therapy should not be prescribed at elevated body temperature;
- To enhance the effect, you can put mustard plasters on your chest and back, after rubbing with oil. This method is contraindicated for people with heart disease, arterial hypertension, because warming the skin in the chest area causes an increase in local blood flow, an increase in pulse rate, and it can trigger tachycardia and increase blood pressure;
- For hot inhalations with a strong cough, 1 tsp is added to a liter of water (about 40 ° C). camphor oil, 2 drops of lavender and eucalyptus. The patient covers his head with a towel and breathes over the steam for 5-10 minutes;
- For inhalation, you can use the water in which the potatoes were boiled in a uniform, for 0.5 l - 15 drops of oil;
To soothe the pain in the ear, cotton wool is soaked in warm camphor oil and inserted into the ear canal. A cotton bandage is put on the ear and fixed with a scarf.
It is important to understand that camphor oil and camphor alcohol are different medications. Using alcohol to treat otitis can cause injury and burns to the eardrum.
To eliminate nasal congestion in case of a head cold, camphor oil is mixed with vegetable oil in equal proportions, and the mixture is instilled into the nose every 3 hours, 2-3 drops in each nasal passage. It is important to ensure that the patient is not allergic to camphor oil.
For the treatment of sinusitis, frontite flour mixed with liquid honey to the consistency of the test, add 1 tsp. camphor oil and rolled into cakes. Flapjacks are applied in the nose, forehead, cheekbones for 20-30 minutes.
Mastitis - inflammation in the breast tissue, accompanied by pain, swelling, tissue hyperemia, the formation of seals. Treatment of mastitis is based on determining the cause of it. The use of camphor oil is also included in the set of measures to ease the patient's condition.
- Camphor oil is mixed with vodka and make alcohol compresses on the chest;
- Camphor oil, stirred in vodka, rubbed chest
With injuries, bruises, joint pain
Mix: 120 g of alcohol, 60 g of camphor in crystals and 60 g of mustard powder. Add whipped protein, mix until a homogeneous mixture.
To rub into the sore joint, into the skin in the hematoma area (it is not recommended to apply the composition to the affected skin areas!). The drug has anti-inflammatory effect, resolves hematomas, relieves pain.
After a shower, warm camphor oil is applied to the anal area, lubricating the skin or using a cloth soaked in oil.
Cotton wool turunda impregnated with camphor oil and entering into the anus. Oil relieves inflammation, contributes to relief of pain and early tissue regeneration (healing).
Finished drugs offered by the pharmacological industry:
- Oil solution of camphor in ampoules (20%). Before use, the ampoule with the medicine is heated to body temperature and is injected parenterally with symptoms of respiratory depression or cardiovascular activity, shock, severe toxication with analgesics, opiodides, and the need to neutralize homeopathic medicines.
- Camphor oil, 10% used externally for the treatment of diseases of the joints, arthritis, arthrosis. For sleep disorders, depressive states, aromatherapy with camphor oil is helpful.
- Camphocin - ointment containing camphor oil, castor oil, salicylic acid and red pepper tincture. Liniment rubbed into the skin with inflammation of the joints.
- Camphor ointment is used to treat neuralgia, joint diseases, applied externally.
- For rubbing and compresses apply camphor alcohol (alcohol solution of crystalline camphor).
- For the treatment of otitis, a solution of camphor in paraffin oil is used as an anti-inflammatory and antibacterial external agent.
- For the treatment of toothache, you can use tooth drops "Denta", containing camphor.
Application of camphor oil for face
- For fading skin, a wrinkle mask with camphor oil is recommended. For its preparation you need to mix for 1 tsp. thistle and grape seed oil, add 5-10 drops of camphor oil. Soak a cotton napkin with the mixture, put it on the face for 20 minutes. Wash off the rest of the oils with warm water, apply a nourishing cream;
- To prepare eyelid skin care products, mix 1 tsp. Each. camphor oil and melted pork or badger (unsalted) fat.
- For acne will help remedy with camphor. To 1 tbsp. l apricot oil add 5 drops of camphor oil, 1 tsp. black cumin seeds. The means applied to the skin point, do not wash off.
- From acne, rashes, skin inflammation will help a mixture of clay for the face and camphor. Dilute the clay with water to a mushy consistency, add 4-5 drops of camphor oil, rinse off with warm water after 20 minutes.
- From pigment spots, scars will help a mixture of sea buckthorn oil with camphor (for 1 tsp. Base oil - 5 drops of camphor).
- To prepare anti-aging masks mix 1 tbsp. l milk and honey, add 2-3 drops of camphor oil. Apply to cleansed skin for 20 minutes, rinse with warm water or herbal lotion, apply a nourishing cream.
Camphor oil for hair and eyelashes
- When hair loss is mixed 1 tbsp. l lemon juice and 1 tsp. oil camphor, rubbed into the roots of the hair, wrap with polyethylene and a bath towel for 2-3 hours. Wash off with warm water;
- To make the eyelashes thick and long, they are smeared with a mixture of castor (1 teaspoon) and camphor (2-3 drops) oils before going to bed. The mixture is applied over the entire length of the eyelashes, avoiding contact with eyes. It is advisable to use a brush from the mascara, thoroughly washed from cosmetics.
Reviews on the Internet, testifying to the high efficiency of treatment with camphor oil, should not serve as a direct recommendation: before using camphor oil for treatment or for cosmetic purposes, you should consult with a specialist.