Turpentine baths - one of the physiotherapeutic methods of treating various diseases with the help of warm water with the addition of turpentine-based compositions. Thanks to the terpenes, the essential oils contained in gum turpentine, baths irritate the skin, improve microcirculation, regulate the functioning of organs and systems.
What you will find in this article:
The use of turpentine baths was proved in the early 20th century by the Russian scientist A.S. Zalmanov. He found a way to emulsify turpentine and get a healing compound added to warm water.
Baths according to Zalmanov are of three types:
- White baths - an emulsion consisting of 0.5 kg of turpentine turpentine, 0.55 liters of distilled water, 0.03 kg of crushed baby soap and 0.75 g of salicylic acid.
- Yellow baths (yellow solution) - a mixture of 0.75 kg of gum turpentine, 0.2 liters of distilled water, 0.3 kg of castor oil, 0.225 kg of oleic acid, 0.04 kg of caustic soda. Caustic soda contributes to the loosening of the epidermis and facilitates the penetration of active substances into the skin. Oil and acid soften the aggressive effects of turpentine.
- Mixed baths are a combination of emulsion and solution in various proportions for the treatment of various diseases in individual cases.
For his work in the field of the effects of turpentine baths on the body, the Dane August Krog received the Nobel Prize in 1920, and the baths themselves gained immense popularity as a method of physiotherapy, and they still do not lose it.
Baths with turpentine are used in sanatoriums, medical institutions, resorts. You can take baths at home with a certain preparation.
What are useful baths
Treatment of the heart and blood vessels
The terpenes found in the composition of the resin and gum turpentine, have a vasodilating effect on the coronary vessels, large arteries and veins, and small - capillaries, helping to improve blood flow and microcirculation. Thanks to these processes, trophic tissue and heart muscle are improved. Thus, turpentine baths serve as a prophylactic agent for the prevention of heart attack.
They are treated with the same way:
- hypertension 1 and 2 degrees;
- symptomatic hypertension;
- angina pectoris;
- hypotension (low blood pressure);
- pain in the heart, inflammation of the heart muscle, heart membranes
Turpentine baths increase the vascular tone, therefore they are used in the treatment of thrombophlebitis, hemorrhoids, varicose veins, atherosclerosis, periarteritis nodosa, narrowing and blockage of the lumen of the vessels, obliterating thromboangiitis.
White baths are prescribed to patients who have problems with blood supply to the legs.
Treatment of the musculoskeletal system
In the middle of the last century, medical scientists proved that turpentine baths irritate skin receptors, improve the metabolic processes occurring in muscles, bone and ligamentous apparatus, in the nervous system.
Thanks to the work done, these baths have proven to be a therapeutic tool for the treatment of diseases of the joints, the spine, to recover from injuries and operations.
White turpentine baths relieve pain and inflammation, allow you to restore mobility of joints after 5-8 procedures.
In addition, turpentine bath emulsion contributes to the trophism of cartilage, serves as a chondroprotector, restoring cartilage.
Indications for use:
- rheumatoid arthritis;
- osteoarthritis, osteoporosis ;
- gout, sciatica;
- spinal hernia
Treatment of skin diseases
Thanks to the turpentine baths, the adhesions and scars on the skin are resolved, wrinkles are smoothed, and the complexion is improved. White bath emulsion is indicated for psoriasis, furunculosis, neurodermatitis, scleroderma, mastitis, frostbite.
Treatment of endocrine disorders
Yellow solution is used to treat endocrine disorders:
- male and female menopause;
- thyroid dysfunction;
After bathing, microcirculation improves, muscle tissue trophic, ulcers heal, the blood becomes thinner, the permeability of blood vessel walls and their tone increase, which helps prevent tissue death and gangrene development.
With the help of turpentine baths you can get rid of cellulite and correct the figure. Along with physical activity and compliance with recommendations regarding nutrition, it is possible to reduce weight by 15-20 kilograms over a period of up to six months. In problem areas, blood flow improves, metabolic processes are stimulated, lymph outflow and fat metabolism stabilize.
Colds, bronchitis, cough (including a smoker's cough) can be cured by increasing blood flow in the vessels of the respiratory system. Turpentine baths facilitate sputum discharge, have a bactericidal effect.
- acute and chronic laryngitis;
- inflammation of the auditory nerve, otitis, deafness;
- acute and chronic rhinitis, sinusitis;
- tonsillitis, sore throat
Treatment of the genitourinary organs in men
10-12 procedures help to stop acute and chronic prostatitis by improving blood circulation and anti-inflammatory action of turpentine.
Proved restoration of erection due to the expansion of the lumen of the capillaries of the cavernous bodies of the penis, it is possible to cure infertility, impotence, balanitis, balanoposthitis, inflammation of the kidneys and bladder, urolithiasis.
Treatment of gynecological diseases
With the help of turpentine baths, it is possible to achieve the cessation of inflammatory processes in the small pelvis, normalize the level of hormones, stabilize the menstrual cycle. Adhesions are resolved, sterility is cured. In some cases, it is possible to achieve the reduction and resorption of fibroids.
Treatment of diseases of the nervous system and nervous disorders
Baths with turpentine restore circulatory disorders in the brain after a stroke, helping to treat paralysis, paresis. Favorably affects the nerve trunks, improving conductivity, regulates the work of the vegetative system.
Baths are used for children after polio, viral encephalitis, suffering from cerebral palsy.
Eye disease treatment
Anti-inflammatory effect of turpentine is used to treat blepharitis, barley, dacryocystitis, keratitis, sclerotic disorders in the retina, cataracts, optic neuritis, glaucoma, and vision loss.
Baths give a good effect with general fatigue, decreased performance, sleep disturbances, headaches and migraines, mental decline in children and adults, pain of unknown etiology.
Turpentine solution maintains health, improves the appearance of skin, hair, nails, serves to prevent diseases.
In pediatrics, turpentine baths are applied similarly.
In order not to harm health, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the list of contraindications for treatment with turpentine baths:
- Highly or sharply reduced blood pressure (white baths are forbidden at elevated pressure, treatment begins with yellow, 5-6 procedures, then alternate them with mixed ones. For hypotension, white baths are used in the same way instead of yellow);
- High body temperature;
- Alcohol or drug intoxication;
- Cirrhosis of the liver;
- Open tuberculosis;
- Individual intolerance to the components, allergy to the ingredients included in the emulsion, solution
Where to buy a therapeutic drug?
The pharmacy sells ready-made forms for taking baths at home.
1. Skipofit - products manufactured by the Research Institute of Naturotherapy. The product line includes:
- Classic Skipofit - an emulsion for white baths and a solution for yellow ones. Gently affects the body, is active at a water temperature of 360 ° C, recommended for children and the elderly, debilitated patients;
- Skipofit Therapeutic for white and yellow baths is indicated as part of complex therapy for various diseases. Due to the high activity is not recommended for use for people over 70 years;
- Skipofit with a cooling effect for patients who are contraindicated in hot and warming baths;
- Dry turpentine baths for grinding in the absence of the opportunity to take a therapeutic bath fully;
- Balsam "Figure" for the correction of the figure and prevent fat deposits in problem areas.
How to make and take baths yourself, tell the instructions.
- classic therapeutic baths;
- baths special - "Movement" and "Figure"
Additionally, products with turpentine for the body and legs are available.
Turpentine solutions are shaken vigorously before use, measure the required amount and stir in water. The water temperature is 360C.
After the bath, the skin can be rinsed with clean water and wiped with a towel. Activity after the bath is not recommended, shown rest, sleep.
The solution should not get into the mouth, eyes, head in the water do not dip. The appearance of pain, discomfort - an indication to cancel procedures in the future. With proper treatment, the results appear after 5-7 baths.
Turpentine baths are a panacea for many diseases, some of them cannot be cured by other means, but before starting treatment, especially an independent one, one should study the topic and consult with a specialist. Reviews on the Internet recommendations of the doctor can not replace, because treatment with turpentine preparations is a very individual matter.