An ingrown nail on the big toe is a problem familiar to both adults and children. Unfortunately, no one is immune from this annoying cosmetic defect, delivering a lot of inconvenience. How to prevent ingrown nails, and what to do if trouble has already happened?
What you will find in this article:
Why does the nail grow?
The reasons why the nail on the thumb grows into soft tissues are trivial, but not following the basic rules leads to the occurrence of the disease:
- In the first place is the wrong care of the toenails. In contrast to the nails on the hands, which can be given any shape, including rounded, cutting off the edge to the skin of the finger, nails should be cut straight in the toes. Rounded sides, too deeply “washed away” nail may well grow not up, but to the side, deep into soft tissues. Such a buckwheat is found both for professionals in salons, and for those who prefer to do pedicure at home.
- Doctors say a hereditary factor in the development of pathology: parents who themselves suffered from ingrown nails should pay close attention to the condition of the nails in children.
- Uncomfortable tight shoes with a narrow nose can provoke ingrowth. Periodically wearing such shoes is unlikely to hurt much, but constantly squeezed fingers are in the “risk zone”.
- Finger deformation (congenital or acquired), fractures, sprains, finger injuries, nail and skin fungus can cause abnormal growth of the toenails.
Signs of ingrown nails
At the initial stage, the problem may be invisible. There is redness from the outer or inner edge of the thumb, discomfort when pressed. Symptoms can be attributed to uncomfortable shoes, swollen feet in the summer, injury.
The edge of the nail, deepening in the skin and soft tissues, injures them, so the pain is gradually increasing. In turn, the body, perceiving the nail as a foreign body, tries to get rid of it with the help of phagocytes. The inflammation begins, the finger tears, festers, increasing in size.
Wearing any shoe and walking itself cause pain, the finger becomes burgundy, crimson, bluish. Severe inflammation threatens blood poisoning, gangrene and finger amputation.
Stage of the disease
Conventionally, there are three stages of nail ingrowth:
- The initial stage is characterized by the occurrence of redness near the toenail, slight swelling may occur. Walking discomfort is negligible.
- Infection of soft tissue with subsequent inflammation and suppuration.
The launched process leads to extensive inflammation and proliferation of soft tissues around the nail. The finger festers, bleeds, deforms. Inflammation can affect deeper layers, including bone tissue.
What to do if the nail grows into the finger
How to treat the ingrown nail on the big toe at home? Home treatment at the initial stage consists in the observance of the hygiene of the feet and the creation of comfortable, gentle conditions for the sore thumb.
- Rejection of narrow shoes, the maximum possible time should go barefoot, so that the finger rests;
- Twice a day, the sick leg should be washed with warm water and soap, to eliminate sweating and pollution;
- If possible, under the edge of the ingrown nail to put a small roller of bandage or cotton, lifting it;
- If there is no suppuration, then the leg can be steamed. Soft tissue is easier to move away and give access to the nail.
- Inflammation that has begun is a reason to treat a finger with Vishnevsky ointment or ichthyol ointment. It is applied with a thin layer and a sterile dressing is applied on top.
This treatment is appropriate in the first stage of the growing nail. The sooner measures are taken, the easier and faster you can solve the problem. Consultation surgeon even at this stage will be appropriate and timely.
Folk treatment of ingrown nails
Treatment with herbs is aimed at relieving pain, inflammation, returning the nail to its former state.
Aloe leaves and juice have an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and soothing effect.
- The bottom sheet is cut, washed, removed spines and cut along.
- A piece of leaf, the size corresponding to the inflamed finger, is applied to the steamed and dried nail, apply a sterile bandage and leave overnight.
The course of treatment depends on the severity of the process.
Useful baths with the addition of emollients and antiseptic substances:
- L. Sea or table salt - 1 h. 1 liter of warm water;
- Baking soda - 1 tsp. 1 liter of warm water;
- Hydrogen peroxide - 1 tbsp. l 1 liter of warm water;
- Light pink solution of potassium permanganate;
- Herbal decoctions - chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort, plantain
- It softens the boil and reduces the inflammation of butter. It is necessary to soften it and make a compress on a sore finger (for the night), covering it from above with a bandage, cling film and again with a bandage.
- After the baths with soda or salt, an onion and honey wrap is effective. Peel one medium onion, chop in a meat grinder, mix with 1 tsp. honey Apply the resulting mass on your finger before bedtime, apply a sterile bandage on top;
- Pork over-melted fat is used against pain and inflammation. It heals the wound surface, reduces suppuration. A thin layer of fat is applied to the finger and, if possible, do not bandage;
- Chop fresh fern leaves, mix the resulting gruel with 1 tsp. butter and use as a tool for compresses. Wrap on top with cling film and wear a wool sock;
- A compress made of rye bread softened in yogurt and honey will help relieve inflammation. Squeeze the resulting mass, remove the excess liquid, apply to the sore finger, wrap with cling film and warm. Leave a compress for the night, wash your finger in the morning with warm water;
Mixtures and tinctures
- With strong suppuration, use a mixture of substances with strong bactericidal effect.
1 tbsp. l gruel of onions, 1 tbsp. l chopped garlic, 1 tbsp. l melted butter and 1 tbsp. l Aloe pulp mix, add 1 tbsp. l natural beeswax.
Put on a slow fire. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spatula.
Put a slightly cooled mixture on the nail and skin with a thick layer, wrap with plastic wrap on top and put on a wool sock;
- Alcoholic tincture of propolis can be purchased at a pharmacy or you can do it yourself: 50 g of propolis, pour 0.35 liters of alcohol, add 0.15 liters of water and leave in a dark, warm place, shaking occasionally.
After 3 weeks, the medicine will be ready. It must be drained and stored in the refrigerator.
Treat ingrown nail should be with compresses, 1 ml of tincture diluted in 0.1 liters of water. This tool is safe and suitable for treating an ingrown nail in a child.
- To strengthen the nails and treat ingrown nails, lotion is rubbed into the nail plate at the initial stage: 1 tsp. olive and castor oil , add ½ tsp. lemon juice.
Instead of a bandage, a sufficiently rigid material that traumatizes the wound surface, you can use capolin for tamponade of the growing nail.
If the symptoms increase, the pain and inflammation increase, you need to seek medical help.
Drug treatment of ingrown toenails
- Nogtinorm - balm, designed to treat growing nails. It relieves inflammation, softens the nail and contributes to its proper growth. A convenient form of release allows you to use Nogtinorm in various conditions, the effectiveness of the action is confirmed by numerous positive reviews.
- Levomekol - ointment, which consists of antibiotics, is effective in suppuration and the development of the inflammatory process. Ointment is used externally or injected directly into the cavity of suppuration using a medical syringe;
There are various ways of surgical treatment of the ingrown nail. The essence is the same: relieve inflammation, promote tissue healing and prevent subsequent relapse.
The modern method is gaining increasing popularity. With the help of a laser, a part of the ingrown nail and the edge of the zone with germ cells are removed.
Locally burned inflammation. If a fungal infection takes place, the spores are simultaneously destroyed.
Laser correction brings the desired result, significantly minimizes the risk of recurrence of the disease. However, the tissue around the nail is affected during the treatment, and healing takes a long time and is painful.
Correction of ingrown nail plates
On the plate of the growing nail there is a brace, tightening and lifting the edges. Clamp tension is adjusted as the defect is repaired.
Gradually, the nail returns to the correct direction, while the installation of the plate, the pressure of the nail on the soft tissue of the finger is minimized. For the manufacture of staples used titanium thread.
How to remove the ingrown nail on the big toe
Radio wave removal
The ingrown nail is removed under the action of radio waves, the matrix and germ zone is processed. Removal is carried out on an outpatient basis, under local anesthesia.
The stage of the disease does not matter, pathologically overgrown soft tissue is also corrected during surgery.
Such operations are quite painful, often the disease develops again, so surgeons gradually refuse from this method.
Under local anesthesia, the ingrown nail is removed completely or partially, lifting the curette and tearing it off; The wound is treated and bandaged until the nail is completely renewed.
How to cut ingrown nails
To properly organize a medical pedicure, you need to follow a few rules:
- Before you trim the nail, the finger must be steamed with the addition of salt, soda, decoction of herbs;
- For access to the remote edge of the nail is recommended to use nail clippers for ingrown nails, their thin narrow cutting edges will allow you to perform the manipulation clearly and as painlessly as possible;
- Dirt from under ingrown nails is not cleaned, but washed out with a swab dipped in hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, can be helped with a wooden spatula;
- The edges of the nail can not be rounded and cut, they trim using a file.
At the first signs of ingrown nails, you need to take care of the health of the feet, reduce the load, make softening baths, treat your fingers. In case of inflammation and suppuration, the doctor will tell you the methods of treatment.