Violations of the lymphatic system leads to the accumulation of lymph in the tissues and interstitial space. Lymph congestion is not just a cosmetic defect, but a serious threat to the body.
What you will find in this article:
The role of the lymphatic system in the human body
As a component of the immune system, the lymphatic system performs several important functions:
- secondary absorption and return to the blood protein;
- transport of metabolic products from extracellular spaces;
- lymph nodes protect the body from external "threats" (bacteria, viruses, protozoa);
- in the small intestine, fats are absorbed into the lymph;
- Lymph provides physiological activity of the connective tissue, maintains the balance of fluids and protein in the body
Symptoms of lymphostasis
Swelling in different parts of the body appear due to various circumstances: long road, hot weather, alcohol abuse or kidney pathology can cause stagnant fluids in the body.
However, if the swelling becomes chronic and catastrophic in size, you should consult with a specialist, perhaps it is about lymph stagnation.
Most often limbs suffer from stagnation of lymph: the hands become swollen or the fluid in the legs becomes stagnant. Lymphostasis is characterized by unilateral accumulation of lymph, i.e. one arm or one leg swells, and the other keeps its normal size. In addition to the limbs, the face, chest, abdomen, and internal organs are affected.
Swollen tissues squeeze blood vessels, the nutrition of the organs is disturbed, discomfort and pain appear. The internal connective tissue grows, which further aggravates the situation. Subcutaneous blood vessels are not visible, limbs (or other parts of the body) greatly thickened.
Lymphostasis is of two types:
- congenital - a genetic disorder, the signs of which may not make themselves felt until the child has a transitional age and the associated hormonal changes;
- Acquired - develops at any age, as a response to external or internal effects, disorders, pathologies.
Causes of lymph stagnation
Secondary lymphostasis can provoke:
- neoplasms of the lymphatic system;
- lymph node injuries;
- restriction of physical mobility (paralysis, severe diseases);
- removal of lymph nodes, breast surgery;
- obstruction of lymph nodes;
- severe infectious diseases;
- squeezing of blood vessels
How to treat lymphatic stasis in the legs
Treatment of lymphostasis is aimed at restoring the normal lymphatic outflow and further normalizing the functions of the extremities.
- One of the best methods to disperse a stagnant lymph is massage. The combination of manual and underwater shower massage leads to activation of the circulatory and lymphatic systems, normalization of the water balance, strengthening and increasing the elasticity of the vessel walls. During the underwater shower massage the patient is massaged with a directed stream of water with a pressure of several atmospheres. The patient is in the bath.
- Showing physiotherapy - magnetic and laser therapy;
- Patients with sufficient physical activity are recommended to visit the pool;
- Drug treatment includes drugs:
- normalizing blood circulation
- immunomodulators and vitamin complexes
- venotonics (increase the tone of the venous walls)
- with antiedematous action
- lowering blood viscosity
- strengthening blood vessel walls
- During the daytime it is necessary to wear compression stockings or use an elastic bandage;
- In the daytime, the swollen limb is recommended to be raised and kept elongated (on a support) for 10 -15 minutes, while putting a folded blanket or a thick roller under it for sleep.
Exercises to normalize lymph drainage
A set of exercises can be performed at home. A prerequisite is the use of compression underwear or a bandage of elastic bandage for the duration of the classes. No need to rush and much to overload the legs. Charging duration - 15-20 minutes, repeat the exercise preferably twice a day.
- "Bicycle". Starting position - lying on his back, legs raised above the floor and bent at the knees. Alternately straightening and bending the legs, the patient simulates cycling.
- "Frog". Starting position - lying on his back, legs bent, feet tightly pressed to the floor. Knees bred to the side, trying to get the legs to the floor, back and foot from the floor can not be torn off.
- Side swing feet. Starting position - lying on its side. The lower leg is straight, elongated. The upper leg is raised to 45 0 , then gently retracted, behind the back, after - the starting position, and in the same way forward. Muscles do not strain, the exercise is performed at an average pace, without jerks. 10 repetitions are performed on each leg.
- Starting position - lying on its side. Bend the upper leg at the knee and pull to the chest. Then return to the starting position. Per each leg perform 10-12 repetitions.
- Foot movement. Starting position - lying on his back, feet slightly raised above the floor. Pull the toes toward you - away from you, perform rotational movements with your feet in both directions, tilt your feet to the right and left.
- Starting position - lying on his back, legs straight. Alternately pull the legs forward. This exercise helps relax calf and femoral muscles, release blood vessels, and normalize the microcirculation of body fluids.
- The starting position is lying down, the emphasis is placed in the wall with the basin, the legs are raised at an angle of 90 degrees . It is recommended to lie with your legs raised for 15-20 minutes daily to relieve strong edema.
- Starting position - lying on his back, legs straight. Bending your knees, pull them up to your chest, then return to the starting position.
- "Compass". Starting position - lying on his back, legs straight. Alternately push the legs to the side, not lifting from the floor and not bending them at the knees.
Lymphatic gymnastics with Oksana Rogovoy is a simple practice that helps the body to be cleansed of toxins and impurities. Stimulates lymph flows to move to filtration and purification zones.
It is also an articular gymnastics, due to which synovial fluid is released in the articular capsule, but without compressive load on the joint. Synovial fluid is not only a lubricant of the joint, but also a nutrient medium of cartilage. Promotes regeneration, healing and cleansing joints. It is recommended to perform daily.
Look also at the lymphatic drainage technique from an osteopath, a teacher of the School of Osteopracticism Alexander Smirnov.
Puffiness of the face, bags under the eyes cause discontent, especially among the fair sex, but serious stagnation threatens health and requires treatment.
Edema worse in spring and summer. The condition may normalize by morning during sleep, but after waking up, the swelling returns.
Lymphatic drainage massage will help to get rid of face lymphostasis, aimed at normalizing lymphatic drainage, improving skin tone, improving complexion. It is important to eat right, not to abuse fatty salty foods, alcohol, stop smoking.
Lymph congestion in the upper limbs may occur in the background:
- breast surgery (oncology);
- hand injuries (dislocation, fracture, burn);
- past infection;
- radiation therapy;
Patients are recommended to wear a compression sleeve or elastic bandage.
Medications for the treatment of lymphostasis:
- Venotonic - relieve swelling, stabilize the lymph flow and blood circulation, strengthen the walls of blood vessels. This group of drugs include angistax, detralex, venarus, escuzan and others.
- Anticoagulants are substances that thin the blood and lower its viscosity. Interfere with the formation of blood clots.
Restoration of lymphatic drainage by folk remedies
Recipes of traditional medicine to eliminate edema and normalize lymph flow:
- Onion compress. 1-2 large onions bake in the oven, grind in with a press or meat grinder, mix with 1 tbsp. l birch tar. Apply the mixture on the affected areas of the body under a compress for 2-3 hours.
- Mix 0.25 kg of peeled minced garlic and 0.35 liters of honey. The mixture is placed in a glass dish and incubated in the dark for 10 days. Take on an empty stomach, 3 times a day for 1 tsp.
- 2 tbsp. l dried plantain leaves pour 0.5 liters of boiling water, leave overnight. In the morning strain, drink in small portions during the day, on an empty stomach.
- Stir 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp. honey in 0.2 liters of boiled water and drink in the morning on an empty stomach. Means to take daily.
- Mix 1 tbsp. l crushed dried leaves of black currant and rosehips. 2 tbsp. l collection pour 0.3 liters of boiling water, insist 25 minutes, strain, drink in the morning on an empty stomach;
- 1 tbsp. l dandelion juice mixed in a 1: 1 ratio with liquid honey, drink 3 times a day;
- Pour the rye flour with hot water and knead the thick dough. After half an hour, add kefir to the flour, so that the mass is obtained, the consistency of which is reminiscent of thick sour cream. It is applied to the affected area of the body under the bandage. Compress can be left overnight.
- For the treatment of lymphostasis of the extremities, baths with the addition of decoctions of a string or chamomile are shown.
Lymphatic drainage is used to remove stagnant lymph. It not only affects the lymphatic system, coordinating its work, but also contributes to the expansion of blood vessels, relieving muscle spasms.
During hardware lymphatic drainage, a low voltage electrical current acts on the body. Nutrients (nourishing, moisturizing, stimulating) are injected subcutaneously, which normalize the water-salt balance, disperse the lymph in the body, remove edema.
Vacuum lymphatic drainage allows you to work on a specific area of the body, eliminating lymphatic stasis and swelling.
Do not allow lymph stagnation: not being able to get rid of metabolic products, the body accumulates them in the intercellular space. Lymph congestion is fraught with not only edema, but also a malfunction of the immune system, intoxication and weakening of the body. A healthy lifestyle, balanced nutrition and movement are the best prevention of disorders of the lymphatic system.